Austria: Mayr Zwickel

Reads 576 • Replies 3 • Started Monday, June 12, 2017 12:10:23 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mjs
beers 11451 º places 46 º 00:10 Mon 6/12/2017

Hi,

I was recently in Linz and there at Cafe Meier I drank a beer called Mayr Zwickel (according the the menu). The problem here is that all the Google serches I have done and also this site tells that Mayr is out of business. I tried to peek what is read on the tap label but it was far behind the bar and I was in a bit hurry so I didn’t have time to start asking more about the beer. Does anyone here know what beer could be sold as Mayr Zwickel?

Here’s their menu:

http://cafe-meier.at/getranke-und-speisen/bier/

Cheers,

Matti

Werckmeister
beers 6297 º places 263 º 02:10 Mon 6/12/2017

hmm, I did a quick search for "Privat-Bauerei Mayr" and nothing came up, which usually means there is no such brewery. Unfortunatly its not uncommon in Austria to market beer as your own "house beer" which in reality most often is just a standard beer by a bigger brewery. Seeing as all the other beers are by Freistädter brewery, I guess the "Mayr Zwickl" could be in reality a Freistädter Bio Zwickl. It could be a good thing if you write Geiserich, which is our admin in Austria. He lives in Linz and might be able to help you out..

mjs
beers 11451 º places 46 º 07:13 Tue 6/20/2017

I did contact Geiserich as well but he hasn’t replied yet. It could be he’s just busy or my question was too unclear.

But regarding the Zwickl I had: It was a dark one. I know Gösser brewes one but the taste and the aroma the reviews tell don’t match what I tasted. Of course, the keg lines could have been dirty, the keg could have been old etc.

I just wonder why would they sell a completely different beer under the label of different brewery. Printing new lists would be too expensive?

Cheers,

Matti

Koelschtrinker
beers 28835 º places 22 º 10:54 Tue 6/20/2017