Brewpub in Normal

Reads 1166 • Replies 7 • Started Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:51:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Philip
beers 436 º places 64 º 11:51 Thu 9/20/2007

This place looks like it has great promise.

http://www.destihl.com/

Philip
beers 436 º places 64 º 15:39 Sat 12/1/2007

So apparently they are now open. Has anyone checked them out? They’re Jivaro Oatmeal Espresso Stout sounds like it could be interesting.

mamabeer
beers 39 º places 1 º 10:15 Mon 12/3/2007

Noah & Jen went and sampled everything. They brought back a 1 liter growler of the coffee stout - nice aroma, but very thin. They’ll be a good transition bar between the macros and the good craft brews. They did say that Destihl’s had good food.

Philip
beers 436 º places 64 º 08:25 Tue 12/4/2007

Originally posted by mamabeer
Noah & Jen went and sampled everything. They brought back a 1 liter growler of the coffee stout - nice aroma, but very thin. They’ll be a good transition bar between the macros and the good craft brews. They did say that Destihl’s had good food.

Thanks, Nancy. We might stop in a few weeks while traveling through, that is if we can’t hold out the few extra hours for Flossmoor Station.

htsprint1
beers 53 º places 1 º 13:34 Thu 12/6/2007

Okay, back in this forum after a while.

It’s an interesting place. Very nice interior that if replicated in Champaign will fit perfectly sharing a corner with Jim Gould’s, Ko Fusion and Guidos. Nice, expensive decor. Wait and bus staff in fancy shirts and dark slacks... And a very good and interesting menu.

As for the beer, it was decent. I would certainly rank them No. 1 in Bloomington-Normal

We tried a five-beer sampler and also had the waiter bring us some small tasters of the roggenbock. The only one that was BAD was the lager -- I bet they used too much of that locally produced corn in that one. The hefe was your basic hefe. Tasted like it should have, clean, not too exciting. The better beers were the red, "IPA" and the coffee stout. The red had a very good malt profile without the overly caramel tones that you get at other places. The IPA was more of an American Pale along the lines of Alpha King. Very solid. I could sit back and watch a game drinking those two beers for sure--something I might do when the Champaign location opens since the beer bars here are lacking in televisions. Coffee stout was thin in the body but had a good coffee flavor. Drinking the growler next to Breakfast Stout at radio probably wasn’t fair. It was a pretty decent beer. Roggenbock seemed off to me; the version of that style that Goose Island Clybourn made a while back was much more suited to my tastes.

I think this place has lots of promise. They should get in with Chicago Beer Society and find their way to the Brewpub Shootout. The food is so good I have a hunch they’d come back with an award.

SubstanceT
beers 1092 º places 114 º 15:57 Thu 12/6/2007

Nice review. Thanks guys!

Aaron

Philip
beers 436 º places 64 º 17:17 Thu 12/6/2007

Thanks, Noah!

troyc
beers 2869 º places 147 º 20:00 Fri 12/21/2007

Hey everyone...

I visited the place yesterday, and entered the beers and restaurant into the database. Enjoy!