Buying/selling/trading/giving away used tap handles; thoughts?

Reads 24336 • Replies 31 • Started Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:02:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

matta
beers 1140 º places 91 º 20:02 Tue 12/29/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
Is there a reason why in the U.S, they don’t use pump clips like they do in the U.K? Pump clips are a lot cheaper to manufacture.

because that would just be too damn easy! - I hope we all do move to use clips some day.

really, my guess is that everyone is looking for an identity and a way to stand out from the pack.

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 21:34 Tue 12/29/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
Is there a reason why in the U.S, they don’t use pump clips like they do in the U.K? Pump clips are a lot cheaper to manufacture.

My favorite local beer bar (The Beer Engine in Lakewood, Ohio) has decided to use plain tap handles with an insert displaying the brand logo and title of all the beers they have on tap in order to make it easier for their employees when swapping kegs on a busy night. I can’t blame them.

I have issues feeling bad for any brewery that ends up short on tap handles. In that specific industry if you produce a good product that product sells itself, when you spend $50 a piece for a tap handle as long as my arm and as decorative as a
Christmas tree you should expect for them to go missing.

DrnkMcDermott
beers 4328 º places 102 º 07:19 Wed 12/30/2009

Hasn’t there also been an occasional case of bars putting a tap handle on a different beer when they no longer carry the original? Seems to me that was a news story where a bar in Michigan was passing off Bud Light as Miller Lite (I know, who could tell).

When I was in radio, back when music still came on black vinyl discs, all the promo copies from the record companies were stamped "Promotional Copy Only, Property of ___ Records." Of course, there was never a case of a record company demanding its records back.

AZeagle
beers 11 º places 4 º 07:32 Wed 12/30/2009

Originally posted by legion242

The breweries I worked for and with are doing very well for themselves despite how many of their tap handles I have.

Since you don’t give the names of the breweries that you worked for, its hard to say if they are doing well or not. Regardless, the concept that tap handles are disposable items is ludicrous. Are there instances where a brewery might give one or two away to a good customer or employee? Of course, but to suggest they don’t need to worry about them, given the cost, and given the current economy makes no sense. I don’t know of a single brewery, including some of the incredibly large ones that don’t pay attention to items that cost them as much as $50 each. Don’t kid yourself, the breweries care, including the ones you worked for.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 10:15 Wed 12/30/2009

Originally posted by AZeagle

The breweries I worked for and with are doing very well for themselves despite how many of their tap handles I have.

Since you don’t give the names of the breweries that you worked for, its hard to say if they are doing well or not. Regardless, the concept that tap handles are disposable items is ludicrous. Are there instances where a brewery might give one or two away to a good customer or employee? Of course, but to suggest they don’t need to worry about them, given the cost, and given the current economy makes no sense. I don’t know of a single brewery, including some of the incredibly large ones that don’t pay attention to items that cost them as much as $50 each. Don’t kid yourself, the breweries care, including the ones you worked for.

Fullers, Erdinger, Rogue, New Belgium, Budvar- these are who I have the most taps from.
Why have none of them ever wanted them back? I wish they did, ’cause I am tired of them being in my garage.

AZeagle
beers 11 º places 4 º 10:19 Wed 12/30/2009

Fullers, Erdinger, Rogue, New Belgium, Budvar- these are who I have the most taps from.
Why have none of them ever wanted them back? I wish they did, ’cause I am tired of them being in my garage.

I’m curious as to what capacity you worked for them in? Especially since you are currently certain that they are doing so well that they have no need to worry about the cost of tap handles. I would imagine that they may not know you have them, but if you took them to the local distributor, I am certain they would be thrilled to recover them.

FrumptyDumpty
10:42 Wed 12/30/2009

Ok so you worked directly for Fullers Erdinger and Budvar or did you work for an importer? You don’t really see real reps from any of those breweries in the states.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 10:52 Wed 12/30/2009

I’m curious as to what capacity you worked for them in? Especially since you are currently certain that they are doing so well that they have no need to worry about the cost of tap handles. I would imagine that they may not know you have them, but if you took them to the local distributor, I am certain they would be thrilled to recover them.

Broker.
Can you tell me that these breweries are not doing well?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 10:58 Wed 12/30/2009

Can somebody please just hurry up and say something awesome so I can seventeen dat ass?

rusty
beers 1547 º places 12 º 15:28 Wed 12/30/2009

Originally posted by cquiroga
Can somebody please just hurry up and say something awesome so I can seventeen dat ass?

In Soviet Russia Tap handles Steal You!