Cutters Brewing closes

Reads 1589 • Replies 11 • Started Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:57:25 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 06:57 Thu 3/12/2015

Thoughts? Stories to share? Lessons to be learned for other breweries in the state?

Didn’t see much of their stuff up in the north part of the state. One distributor that did carry them (a Bud house) was sold off and split up.

Sampled the Half Court IPA once (bottle) and wasn’t impressed, but it was pushing 4 1/2 months old at that point, so it wasn’t a fair example. Clearly demand wasn’t high up here, or the distributor over-projected.

Always sad to see a brewery close, but there’s enough good stuff going on in most corners of the state at this point that you really have to bring your "A" game.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 09:06 Thu 3/12/2015

I actually liked most of the stuff I had from them abit it was at beer fests, but you are right there was not much visibility in the market and the bottles appeared to be shelf turds.

b3shine
beers 12238 º places 373 º 10:44 Thu 3/12/2015

Can’t say I really care. Empire and the BA version of it are pretty good, but nothing special. Everything else I’ve had from them has been average to underwhelming.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15132 º places 448 º 19:22 Thu 3/12/2015

Guess lesson #1 is "Pay your utility bills". Not sure how they messed this up - apparently were warned and didn’t take them seriously. Their beers were okay but pretty underwhelming. Also think they were a victim of trying to can and widely distribute their beers without a stand-out beer or much of a loyal following (much like what happened to Warbird, Nine G, Four Horseman, and several other Indiana breweries).

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 21:57 Thu 3/12/2015

The sewage company story is crazy...$77K? Ouch...

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 23:04 Thu 3/12/2015

Originally posted by shrubber85
Guess lesson #1 is "Pay your utility bills". Not sure how they messed this up - apparently were warned and didn’t take them seriously. Their beers were okay but pretty underwhelming. Also think they were a victim of trying to can and widely distribute their beers without a stand-out beer or much of a loyal following (much like what happened to Warbird, Nine G, Four Horseman, and several other Indiana breweries).

Most of Nine G and Four Horsesass (as well as Duneland) beers sucked royally. Brickworks, Mishawaka, and Aberdeen were more caused by poor business choices.

Of all the out of business Indiana breweries the only one I was sad to see go was Brass Monkey Brewing... anyone know if the brewer there went elsewhere?

shrubber85
admin
beers 15132 º places 448 º 18:09 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by BBB63

Most of Nine G and Four Horsesass (as well as Duneland) beers sucked royally. Brickworks, Mishawaka, and Aberdeen were more caused by poor business choices.

Of all the out of business Indiana breweries the only one I was sad to see go was Brass Monkey Brewing... anyone know if the brewer there went elsewhere?

Mishawaka also couldn’t bottle for shit - I’ve never seen any other brewery totally unable to bottle a beer without infection - got a sixer of their Koelsch that was the worse smells I’ve ever experienced (and I’ve been in Port-a-potties in Iraq in the summer).

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 18:20 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by b3shine
Can’t say I really care. Empire and the BA version of it are pretty good, but nothing special. Everything else I’ve had from them has been average to underwhelming.

That’s been my experience with most breweries. They have one or two good beers, a couple of average drafts, and a shelf turd. That said seeing them go under is disappointing but the decision to move north to Indianapolis rather than focus on the Bloomington market may have done them in.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 19:59 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by BBB63

Mishawaka also couldn’t bottle for shit - I’ve never seen any other brewery totally unable to bottle a beer without infection - got a sixer of their Koelsch that was the worse smells I’ve ever experienced (and I’ve been in Port-a-potties in Iraq in the summer).

True that, they were a solid craft brewery until the day they opened that bottling line in Elkhart. Worse I told then about that right away but seemed to fall on deaf ears. Plus by then the writing was on the wall... when an established craft brewer start selling and promoting swill buckets to bring in business then it is a goner.

StFun
beers 567 º places 11 º 13:39 Mon 4/6/2015

Everybody wants to rule the state.

Sometimes it is cool just to develop that solid local following first.

You can’t always be Sun King.

vw73182
beers 14 º places 1 º 07:54 Fri 4/17/2015

Originally posted by StFun
Everybody wants to rule the state.

Sometimes it is cool just to develop that solid local following first.

You can’t always be Sun King.

Exactly. Try and be Sun King and make shitty beer you’ll go out of business... They’ve got that corner of the market covered.