Goodwood Brewing Co.

Reads 1503 • Replies 15 • Started Monday, April 20, 2015 5:41:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

So... is this just a re-badge of BBC at the old tap room location? Will BBC still do their bottle production there? Other related questions?

phaleslu
admin
beers 16596 º places 798 º 09:23 Mon 4/20/2015

shrubber85 has some info on this, but there’s still some details we’re trying to figure out. He shot me a message with some of it, but I’ll let him reply here.

antzman
beers 325 º places 13 º 15:07 Mon 4/20/2015

They just put up an updated website: http://goodwood.beer/beer

phaleslu
admin
beers 16596 º places 798 º 15:17 Mon 4/20/2015

Thanks for sharing. Hadn’t seen that yet.

This is potentially a mess for the database:

"The gents behind Goodwood are three of Louisville’s longest-serving brewing veterans, running production breweries here since 2001. Now thrilled to branch off on its own, this splinter group of beer makers has rebooted its brewery around the success of its renowned product: BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout (now Goodwood Bourbon Barrel Stout)."

The way the website reads, it looks like they intend for this to be a separate brand entirely from Bluegrass. I’m not sure what the ownership structure is like, if there’s any difference. This can be handled in two ways: as a fully owned and operated client brewer under a brewer (e.g. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/triple-digit-brewing-co/14345/ ) or just as a different line put out by a brewer (e.g. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/the-brew-kettle/3749/ - Ringneck used to be put out by TBK as a different in-house label). The way this reads, I’d tend to favor the former.

But if beers are being relabeled under the new brand, that’s where it gets really tough. Do the old BBC entries that line up with this (these?) get retired? Will they still be released under the BBC name? Is it an alias situation?

Crazytown.

Some of those are definitely "rebadged" (if I’m using that term correctly): Louisville Lager, Bourbon Barrel Stout, Bourbon Ale all look pretty much identical to beers BBC already makes up to this point. Others might be new products, but also might be "necro’d" recipes from the BBC database, which should be fun to mine (not). Not sure if I favor the former or latter myself. I’m thinking the confusion is intentional.

Ok, looking at those again: many of them seem to be BBC base beers with some sort of wood treatment.

Just saw this on their FB page: http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/bbc-production-brewery-re-brand-goodwood-brewing-company/

shrubber85
admin
beers 15132 º places 448 º 19:54 Mon 4/20/2015

Apparently BBC on 3rd and the St. Matthews locations will stay open but the one on 4th/Theater Square is due to close on May 1st .
(I’ve already listed it as closed - didn’t think anyone would care/notice).

From what ContemplateBeer just posted above, it kind of sounds like they are going to continue to brew beer for the BBC brewpubs. So looks like we can just change the BBC brewery to Goodwood and then add Goodwood beers as appropriate, but I will try to get confirmation prior to doing anything else. If anyone else gets definite confirmation, just beermail me.

Originally posted by shrubber85
Apparently BBC on 3rd and the St. Matthews locations will stay open but the one on 4th/Theater Square is due to close on May 1st .
(I’ve already listed it as closed - didn’t think anyone would care/notice).

From what ContemplateBeer just posted above, it kind of sounds like they are going to continue to brew beer for the BBC brewpubs. So looks like we can just change the BBC brewery to Goodwood and then add Goodwood beers as appropriate, but I will try to get confirmation prior to doing anything else. If anyone else gets definite confirmation, just beermail me.

Good move by them with Theater Square... Will update you if I hear anything first, but you seem on it, as usual!

So I just read that BBC Theater Square has been bought by Kindred (hospital) and that Kindred’s expansion will include a new BBC location on their first floor. Because sometimes you want beer in the hospital.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/28542974/bbc-sets-closing-date-for-theater-square-location-in-path-of-kindred-expansion

antzman
beers 325 º places 13 º 08:54 Tue 4/21/2015

Based on what I’ve heard from the brewmaster, they are tweaking the Bourbon Stout recipe a bit. Louisville Lager will be aged on Ash wood, whereas now it gets no barrel or wood aging.

I don’t believe that they brew beer for the BBC brewpubs. I was always under the impression that the beer for the brewpubs was brewed in the St. Matthews brewery. The Clay & Main brewery brewed the beers that were in 6 packs and 4 packs, as well as draft of their core beers, in addition to the Sheltowee lineup for Liquor Barn.

There has been a ownership split between the brewpubs and the production brewery for years. I know they split well over 10 years ago. Why they both kept the BBC name is beyond me and has caused confusion in the market for years. This was one of the driving causes of them changing their name away from the BBC moniker.

drfabulous
beers 15654 º places 239 º 11:18 Tue 4/21/2015

shrubber85
admin
beers 15132 º places 448 º 16:31 Tue 4/21/2015

antzman - I assume you haven’t heard anything about any stoppage of bottled BBC beers and you’re still selling them (you were as of last week at least). Plus are you going to have Goodwood available in your stores?