Grain Bag Split

Reads 4114 • Replies 15 • Started Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:50:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 10:50 Wed 5/31/2017

I am Currently doing a partial extract. However during the steeping process one of the grain bags has split and some of the grain is in the wort.

Does anyone know if this will cause issues further down the line?

Will it just settle to the bottom with the trub during fermentation?

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 10:52 Wed 5/31/2017

What do you mean with "grain in the wort"? Boiling grain is never good. If it’s post boil, that would only be preferable if you’re doing something like a Berliner.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 10:56 Wed 5/31/2017

Its a tea bag of torrefied wheat that I have been steeping 30 mins at 70 degrees C. before adding the extract.

I managed to get most out by sieving it, but there are still small particles floating on top of the boil.

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 12:50 Wed 5/31/2017

RDWHAHB

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:04 Wed 5/31/2017

Originally posted by barncatmatt
RDWHAHB

Yes I know you are right. I will open one now.

Trying to cool 3 US gallons in a sink has not gone well either. Its struggling get down to 24°C. Its been an hour and is only at 33°C after pouring into fermenter with cold water. Yeast has been rehydrated for over an hour. So I have put the fermenter in the sink left yeast solution covered and will check again in an hour.

b3shine
beers 12211 º places 372 º 13:08 Wed 5/31/2017

Sounds painful.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:19 Wed 5/31/2017

Originally posted by b3shine
Sounds painful.

I will be amazed if the beer turns out any good. Drinkable would be a bonus. But its a learning curve I suppose.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 13:32 Wed 5/31/2017

Cooling in the sink works decent if you continously change the water. Leaving the tap running and emptying the sink with a siphon at the same time or something similar.

Good thing you scooped out most of the grain. Boiling grain results in very nasty astringency and bitterness.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:40 Wed 5/31/2017

Originally posted by VsXsV
Cooling in the sink works decent if you continously change the water. Leaving the tap running and emptying the sink with a siphon at the same time or something similar.

Good thing you scooped out most of the grain. Boiling grain results in very nasty astringency and bitterness.

Temp is down to 31°c. The water in the sink is still cold. I guess I will wait another hour and hope for the best.

The grain was sieved and I thought I had cleared it all before boiling, but then all these fine grain particles floated to the top on boiling. I just hope they won’t ruin the beer too much.

I will try my first brew in the next hour. That one was pure extract with hop pellets added to the fermenter. What can go wrong???

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 14:01 Wed 5/31/2017

Well I just opened my homebrew from 3 weeks ago and I am pleasantly surprised. Its no "craft" beer, but it tastes better than most beers you can buy from the supermarket shelves and better than a fair few on cask. Extract brewing kits have certainly improved since my last lot of home brewing days 10 years ago.

skinnyguy
17:34 Mon 6/12/2017

A couple things that can help for chilling next time:

Chill your kettle before adding the additional cold water (if possible for your setup).

Gently stir the hot wort inside the kettle while it is in the cold water bath. This is very helpful, especially as the wort gets closer to the water bath temp since the temp will start dropping much more slowly (and may stop entirely without stirring). This is still helpful when you add an immersion chiller (stir the direction opposite the flow of the chiller).

Save any ice you may have until the kettle is only warm or even cool to the touch. It will melt so quickly in the beginning that it’s better to save it, unless you have an unlimited supply at hand.

As others have mentioned, empty the water bath and refill as soon as it feels warm at all (even anything above cold).

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer