How do you use hops in your kettle?

Reads 3833 • Replies 15 • Started Monday, April 3, 2017 9:31:05 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 14:57 Wed 4/5/2017

Use mostly pellets, only get leaf when I can’t find pellets of a certain variety. Boil it free and then pour the wort through a filter into the fermenter.

Use hop bags for dry hopping.

skinnyguy
15:38 Fri 4/7/2017

I mostly use pellet. I always use a nylon mesh or muslin bag for dry hopping, and often do for boiling, especially when I’m using a pump. I used to let the pellets loose in the kettle, but found the bags to be easier (especially when doing a lot of batches/additions in one day- tie the number of knots in the muslin bag corresponding with the # addition it is). I did not notice a significant loss in character by bagging the hops.

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 09:10 Sat 4/8/2017

I use leaf hops, mainly because I replenish my yearly hop inventory when Hops Direct has their harvest and they always sell the leaf first before they get to pelleting. I stock up with 3-4 lbs for the year and buy enough variety to last me for different styles. I have to us a hopsack because I don’t have a filter and it works fine for my setup. For my hoppy beers, I do the bag squeeze to get the resiny hop juice into the kettle. I do love the ease of use of pellets, but it does leave a lot of sludge.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 07:04 Mon 4/10/2017

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
My question is how can you find/afford leaf hops. They’re almost extinct here in Canada and even ordering them from the US has become prohibitively expensive

Have you tried places like HopsDirect?

Placing an order right now. I was a little upset at them a couple years ago when I ordered discounted Belma that was chuck full of twigs and leaves. I was buying hops from freshops then and the quality was not even close to matching. I’ll give them another go

HornyDevil
13:14 Mon 4/10/2017

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Placing an order right now. I was a little upset at them a couple years ago when I ordered discounted Belma that was chuck full of twigs and leaves. I was buying hops from freshops then and the quality was not even close to matching. I’ll give them another go

But their pounds are 18 - 19 oz., so that makes up for it, IMO. Were the hops OK otherwise?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer