Kellerbier: The Unofficial Beer Style of the State of Minnesota

Reads 4903 • Replies 50 • Started Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:05:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 12:51 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by Atom
Originally posted by islay
Wicked Wort Motueka Keller Pilsner is on tap now at Wicked Wort’s Robbinsdale taproom.

Drinking one now, pretty solid! Worth a trip. They also have it dry hopped with sorachi hops, it’s a passion fruit kick in the face.

I am not crazy about treating certain styles like this to the point they are no longer recognizable. Plenty of room to experiment with hops in other styles rather than one that is far from established in the USA.

CLevar
places 23 º 13:47 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by JK
Wicked Wort Motueka Keller Pilsner is on tap now at Wicked Wort’s Robbinsdale taproom.

Drinking one now, pretty solid! Worth a trip. They also have it dry hopped with sorachi hops, it’s a passion fruit kick in the face.

I am not crazy about treating certain styles like this to the point they are no longer recognizable. Plenty of room to experiment with hops in other styles rather than one that is far from established in the USA.

Yeah, this is where I am at as well. Old world hops, old world malt, lager yeast. Unfiltered but well conditioned. I’m certain that the beers made with American and New Zealand and South African etc hops are grand (I’ve really enjoyed some examples for sure!) but my concern is that these new world examples will begin to define a style that already has a long history.

Note: I’m not usually a style guy at all. But you don’t work where I work and brew what we brew without gaining a serious appreciation (and a bit of dogma) for lager beer.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 14:02 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by JK

Yeah, this is where I am at as well. Old world hops, old world malt, lager yeast. Unfiltered but well conditioned. I’m certain that the beers made with American and New Zealand and South African etc hops are grand (I’ve really enjoyed some examples for sure!) but my concern is that these new world examples will begin to define a style that already has a long history.

Note: I’m not usually a style guy at all. But you don’t work where I work and brew what we brew without gaining a serious appreciation (and a bit of dogma) for lager beer.

Will we see the Kazbek keller again this year, or any other versions? I hope long term you guys will consider doing some lagers now that you have learned how to truly kill them.

CLevar
places 23 º 14:10 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by JK

Will we see the Kazbek keller again this year, or any other versions? I hope long term you guys will consider doing some lagers now that you have learned how to truly kill them.

It will return at some point. We really enjoy that beer.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 14:23 Fri 4/21/2017

This one done? We the Kool Kellerbier Kapital yet?

I like the beer from Fair State that smelled like marijuana. What beer was that? Kazbek?

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 14:58 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
What beer was that? Kazbek?

Keller Blanc, brah.

CLevar
places 23 º 15:55 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by jackl
Originally posted by TheHOFF43
What beer was that? Kazbek?

Keller Blanc, brah.

Fair state cred level: 10.

Achievement unlocked.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 16:43 Fri 4/21/2017

This Summit New England IPA smells like drugs.

Atom
beers 3314 º places 229 º 16:51 Fri 4/21/2017

Originally posted by JK

I feel the same way, the sorachi dry hopping took it far from a Keller, but just the Motueka was nice and more characteristic of the style.

Atom
beers 3314 º places 229 º 20:31 Wed 5/3/2017