NC barrel cap raising law defeated

Reads 379 • Replies 3 • Started Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:41:48 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 10:41 Sun 4/23/2017

jcnielsen
beers 3414 º places 321 º 13:04 Mon 4/24/2017

I know that I’m biased because I want to support local breweries to build up their business, but it’s funny that you never a valid opposing argument to the raising of the barrel cap. The cap is just an arbitrary number. Breweries are very in-favor of raising it, so that they have more control over distribution of their own product, and they make a clear argument. It seems the opposition (the distributors) prefer to stay relatively quiet, and just use their big lobbying money to quash anything. There just isn’t a clear argument why it is beneficial to have an arbitrary cap, other than "that’s how it’s always been" and distributors can spend more money on lobbyists to protect their interests. But I guess that’s just politics.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 20:01 Mon 4/24/2017

Originally posted by jcnielsen
I know that I’m biased because I want to support local breweries to build up their business, but it’s funny that you never a valid opposing argument to the raising of the barrel cap. The cap is just an arbitrary number. Breweries are very in-favor of raising it, so that they have more control over distribution of their own product, and they make a clear argument. It seems the opposition (the distributors) prefer to stay relatively quiet, and just use their big lobbying money to quash anything. There just isn’t a clear argument why it is beneficial to have an arbitrary cap, other than "that’s how it’s always been" and distributors can spend more money on lobbyists to protect their interests. But I guess that’s just politics.

I did see something from the nc wholesalers, they kind of threw some breweries under the bus, saying they we delinquent on taxes. See if I can find it

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 20:03 Mon 4/24/2017

Originally posted by OldGrowth
Originally posted by jcnielsen

I did see something from the nc wholesalers, they kind of threw some breweries under the bus, saying they we delinquent on taxes. See if I can find it

http://www.indyweek.com/news/archives/2017/04/10/the-nc-wholesalers-association-says-barrel-cap-bill-wont-help-breweries-attacks-them-anyway