OKC Jan 6-9

Reads 1321 • Replies 19 • Started Friday, December 30, 2016 10:17:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 10:17 Fri 12/30/2016

Well, there’s no OK forum, so here goes. I’ll be in Oklahoma City the first weekend in January, trying to rate a total of 100 or more OK-brewed beers (I need 29). If anyone would like to meet somewhere for a beer, just message me.

Looks like there’s a fair amount of beery places in OKC compared to when I lived there in 1999. But I’m also wondering if folks think it’s worth a drive to Tulsa (and probably spending the night) to check out Prairie, American Solera and Marshall.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 12:42 Fri 12/30/2016

Tulsa is not that far, right? Day trip?

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 13:46 Fri 12/30/2016

Originally posted by legion242
Tulsa is not that far, right? Day trip?

yeah exactly, hour and a half. I don’t really like driving an hour and a half after hitting 3 brewpubs though, so I’d prob stay the night. still, I think it would be worth spending 1/3 the trip in Tulsa (never been) compared to OKC (where I lived for 10 months)

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 14:56 Fri 12/30/2016

It’s been a long time since I’ve been up there, but I remember OKC having better beer, but Tulsa being a nicer city. OKC always looked like nothing had been painted since the 70’s!!

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 15:20 Fri 12/30/2016

Originally posted by legion242
It’s been a long time since I’ve been up there, but I remember OKC having better beer, but Tulsa being a nicer city. OKC always looked like nothing had been painted since the 70’s!!

OK, this is helpful too. another vote for splitting my time between the two?

There is a bar in bricktown where you should be able to get many of those rates that you need. I can only imagine that you may have already had most of what Prairie has to offer because of their wide distribution. I’m not sure if Solera has a whole lot out yet as they focus on sours, I think. I would make the drive though. Don’t forget about COOP Ale Works and Choc beers though. There should be plenty between the two if you have never had the to get you close to half way of what is needed.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 09:00 Sat 12/31/2016

Originally posted by Rosebud butternuts
There is a bar in bricktown where you should be able to get many of those rates that you need. I can only imagine that you may have already had most of what Prairie has to offer because of their wide distribution. I’m not sure if Solera has a whole lot out yet as they focus on sours, I think. I would make the drive though. Don’t forget about COOP Ale Works and Choc beers though. There should be plenty between the two if you have never had the to get you close to half way of what is needed.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 09:44 Sat 12/31/2016

Originally posted by Rosebud butternuts

Good point re: COOP & Choc. I’ve enjoyed both at festivals. COOP is mainly at 51st St Speakeasy in OKC it looks like. Can I get Pete’s/Choc in OKC and Tulsa? prob not worth the drive to Kreb’s given the short trip I would think

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 11:41 Sat 12/31/2016

You might also wish to set aside some time to scout out the rural areas and do some meth with the locals.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 12:28 Sat 12/31/2016

Originally posted by fly
You might also wish to set aside some time to scout out the rural areas and do some meth with the locals.

always

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4609 º 12:26 Wed 1/4/2017

Travl plans are solidifying:

Friday Jan 6: Anthem, Battered Boar, Roughtail, Mustang
Sat Jan 7: Tulsa, Prairie (both locations) & Marshall
Sun Jan8: Twisted Spike, Bricktown, Tapwerks, ?Royal Bavaria

Belle Isle, 51st St Speakeasy and Republic Gastropub are reasonably close to my hotel (which has a shuttle to take me around) so I’ll hit those some evening if I still have the stamina.