Places to buy Olvade in Minneapolis?

Reads 626 • Replies 10 • Started Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:40:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8506 º places 567 º 20:40 Tue 8/29/2017

I may be stopping by Minneapolis on a layover and was wondering where to try Olvade or pick up bottles in town. A friend shared some with me long ago and I really liked it some I’d enjoy trying more from them if I can...

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 21:04 Tue 8/29/2017

When would you be here? I’d be willing to grab you a mix pack of local beers and meet you.
Could work it out somehow. Not really concerned. Lots of great locals right now, but kind of scattered.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 21:11 Tue 8/29/2017

Good choice; that’s one of my favorite breweries in the state. Olvalde is widely available at local liquor stores. Elevated Beer Wine and Spirits at 4135 Hiawatha Avenue in Minneapolis should have various Olvalde beers in stock (take the light rail train from the airport to the 38th Street station, then walk 3 blocks southeast; the ride will cost you a mere $1.75). South Lyndale Liquors in Minneapolis is another great liquor store pretty close to the airport, though it isn’t accessible by train. Olvalde recently did a collaboration sour with the upcoming Oakhold Farmhouse Brewery (helmed by RateBeerians CLevar and MatSciGuy) called "Day Torch." It’s well worth trying, and there’s a good chance you’ll find it on the shelves. My personal favorite Olvalde beer is the superbly named "Rise of the Burghers and the Fall of the Feudal Lords."

CLevar
places 23 º 21:46 Tue 8/29/2017

Stinson also often has Olvalde.

And yeah, Rise is one of my favorite beers brewed in MN, and one of my favorite sours all around.

MatSciGuy
beers 924 º 07:06 Wed 8/30/2017

Originally posted by islay
Good choice; that’s one of my favorite breweries in the state. Olvalde is widely available at local liquor stores. Elevated Beer Wine and Spirits at 4135 Hiawatha Avenue in Minneapolis should have various Olvalde beers in stock (take the light rail train from the airport to the 38th Street station, then walk 3 blocks southeast; the ride will cost you a mere $1.75). South Lyndale Liquors in Minneapolis is another great liquor store pretty close to the airport, though it isn’t accessible by train. Olvalde recently did a collaboration sour with the upcoming Oakhold Farmhouse Brewery (helmed by RateBeerians CLevar and MatSciGuy) called "Day Torch." It’s well worth trying, and there’s a good chance you’ll find it on the shelves. My personal favorite Olvalde beer is the superbly named "Rise of the Burghers and the Fall of the Feudal Lords."

South Lyndale has been very light on the Olvalde offerings as of late, also opting not to pick up Day Torch.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 22:16 Wed 8/30/2017

Originally posted by MatSciGuy
Originally posted by islay

South Lyndale has been very light on the Olvalde offerings as of late, also opting not to pick up Day Torch.

Their loss, but good to know.

I will be in town on an 8 hour layover on my way from Japan to Montreal. With the 100ml cap on in-cabin liquids and my luggage most likely being checked through to MTL I doubt I can pick up stuff to go or trade. I would of course be happy to meet up (I land around noon on Tue, 19 Dec at 11:53 AM at MSP.

From there I plan to grab a cab to Surly (I think it is roughly 30 bucks) check it out and hop on a train to the Weisman Museum. Back on the train to Town Hall and Republic. If I have time, walk up to Crooked Pint for a Jucy Lucy, maybe stopping by the Mississipi (Stone Arch) and Day Block Brewing. I am fairly sure I am being overley ambitious, especially in winter...

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/Government Plaza Station, Minneapolis, MN 55415, United States/Crooked Pint Ale House, South Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, United States/St Anthony Falls Visitor Center, 1 Portland Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401, USA/Day Block Brewing Company, South Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, United States/Town Hall Brewery, South Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, United States/West Bank Station, Minneapolis, MN, United States/@44.9773353,-93.2530818,15z/data is equal to!4m20!4m 19!1m2!1m 1!1s0x52b3329c 004869b5:0x1afb8e2531223e dd!1m2!1m 1!1s0x52b33294e 08a36a9:0x9d38c65c 9fe8173b!1m2! 1m1!1s0x52b32d 6346be3bcd:0x25c179a 7dd99e920!1m2! 1m1!1s0x52b32d 180dd79f09:0x38dbd 00185981f45!1m 2!1m1!1s 0x52b32d69cd457259: 0x16eb5183be7ff073! 1m2!1m1!1s 0x52b32d42034bf283: 0x878aedec5b0f10f9! 3e2

My rough plan for the walking portion of things...

Thanks for the Olvade tips, I think they are well worth seeking out.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 10:36 Fri 9/1/2017

You may want to consider taking the light rail train from the airport to Surly. Hop on the train (Blue Line) at the airport heading north to Minneapolis. Exit at the Downtown East / US Bank Stadium station. Get on the Green Line train heading east toward St. Paul. Exit at the Prospect Park station. Then walk a few blocks to Surly. That will take you about an hour including waiting for trains and walking, versus maybe 25 minutes in a cab (although the cab could take longer in poor winter road conditions), but the train costs just $1.75 for a 2.5 hour pass. Whether that's worth it depends on how highly you value your time.

Unless you're dead-set on having a Jucy Lucy, I recommend eating at Surly. It has the best food of any brewery I've ever visited. Then you can skip Crooked Pint (which is nothing special in any way and not known for its Jucy Lucys; it would be way down my -- or I have to assume anyone else's -- list of recommendations to visitors) and simplify your plans.

Another option you may want to consider is a brewpub called Northbound Smokehouse near the 38th Street station on the Blue Line. It's probably roughly comparable to Day Block in quality (i.e., middle-of-the-road).

USA Today voted Crooked Pint's Juicy Lucy the best in Minnesota (though I suspect that is probably as they garnered more votes due to multiple locations) but most other places say the competition is between Matt's Bar and 5-8 Club. Surly doesn't have one on the menu, nor do Town Hall or Republic. Those places seem to be the main ones I aim for, plus the museum/Mississipi

Day Block is more of a pop in if I have time as I walk by in front... In the future if I transit through Minneapolis I'll try to extend my layover more to have more time to explore more.

Due to the time crunch, I plan on going to Surly by taxi then back by train/metro as otherwise I'd lose too much of my layover. When time is limited, spend the money to save the time is what I say.

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 13:28 Sat 9/2/2017

The Nook is where it's @ for Jucy's. Matt's is certainly in the conversation, as is 5-8. Blue Door if you are in the mood for some crazy variants, which can be great. But for me, if you want a Jucy done right, it's the standard Jucy at the Nook. Don't fuck around with pepper jack that doesn't melt properly either - if the cheese isn't oozing all over the place and burning the hell out of your fingers, you aren't doing it right.