RBEWG UK

Reads 7016 • Replies 63 • Started Sunday, September 10, 2017 1:07:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fin
beers 17300 º places 1653 º 07:14 Mon 9/11/2017

Why not just have a beery day out in Sheffield rather than attach something to it that all of a sudden seems to over complicate matters, those who want to stay and make more of it will do and those who want to hit Sheffield and back home in one day can.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:19 Mon 9/11/2017

Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by Leighton
Is there enough in Sheffield to support a three-day itinerary (without scraping the bottom of the barrel)?

Would there be enough people willing to take a couple of days off work to make this goer?

I wouldn't take time off myself. Would be fine for a Sat-Sun event, with maybe a Fri night added on.

That would make it essentially a single day event then. With, maybe, some people arriving in dribs & drabs on Friday and people drifting away in dibs & drabs on Sunday.

There are plenty of worthwhile pub options in Sheffield to support that. Although it might be sensible to reserve the best for the times when the largest number of people are in attendance. Which could make itinerary planning a little tricky.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:20 Mon 9/11/2017

Or, more succinctly, what Fin said (posts crossed).

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 08:24 Mon 9/11/2017

Was chatting to Dave about this yesterday - had a few beers by that point hence the short post

Reckon sheffield has enough going on to do a couple of days of pubbing. Dave was talking about Fri eve/ saturday for pubs and possibly a brewery then a bottle share on the Sunday pm. As others have said its near enough to other good beery spots that we could potentially get a train elsewhere if not enough in Sheffield

Sheffield does have an annual beer week, which is well worth going to in itself but some of the places are rammed so better to experience it properly on a normal weekend. We chose start of Dec as there will be fewer Christmas punters out yet should still feel sufficiently wintery and doesn't seem to clash with other major events. Both Dave and I away for a chunk of November.

I'd look to fly over after work on the fri and back home Sunday pm - definitely doable without time off.

And in terms of nomenclature I was aiming to make it easily understood, the Belgians have their own gathering every year regardless of where the official Summer gathering is. But yes we can call it whatever we like!

Leighton
beers 33792 º places 1204 º 08:29 Mon 9/11/2017

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Was chatting to Dave about this yesterday - had a few beers by that point hence the short post

Reckon sheffield has enough going on to do a couple of days of pubbing. Dave was talking about Fri eve/ saturday for pubs and possibly a brewery then a bottle share on the Sunday pm. As others have said its near enough to other good beery spots that we could potentially get a train elsewhere if not enough in Sheffield

Sheffield does have an annual beer week, which is well worth going to in itself but some of the places are rammed so better to experience it properly on a normal weekend. We chose start of Dec as there will be fewer Christmas punters out yet should still feel sufficiently wintery and doesn't seem to clash with other major events. Both Dave and I away for a chunk of November.

I'd look to fly over after work on the fri and back home Sunday pm - definitely doable without time off.

And in terms of nomenclature I was aiming to make it easily understood, the Belgians have their own gathering every year regardless of where the official Summer gathering is. But yes we can call it whatever we like!

I'd vote for doing the bottle share on the Saturday evening, fwiw.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 09:27 Mon 9/11/2017

think Dave said it may be difficult to find a venue on a saturday but we could use the rutland on the sunday (and store stuff in their cellar over weekend). We don't need to finalize itinerary yet anyway, just wanted an idea if there was enough interest

BlackHaddock
beers 15545 º places 1056 º 09:28 Mon 9/11/2017

I'm with Leighton on the bottle share being on Saturday. Sunday lunch time could be just a 'survivors party' with only a couple of pubs to fall into.

<*))))))><

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40820 º places 1239 º 09:28 Mon 9/11/2017

Re dates ... the official RBWG is normally held in the new year typically February from the ones I've taken part in.

Could guess that this is due to some folks not wanting to commit to a weekend away with the run up to Xmas etc with other things and drink ups going on or to save money for Xmas !?!

I won't be coming in December personally, but realise Dave does a lot of travelling so perhaps he has nothing free into the new year?

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 09:37 Mon 9/11/2017

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Re dates ... the official RBWG is normally held in the new year typically February from the ones I've taken part in.

Could guess that this is due to some folks not wanting to commit to a weekend away with the run up to Xmas etc with other things and drink ups going on or to save money for Xmas !?!

I won't be coming in December personally, but realise Dave does a lot of travelling so perhaps he has nothing free into the new year?

partly that and mainly i'l;l not be allowed out in new year with imminent family arrival ;) Its pay weekend so maybe people can justify.

Also we don't want it too near cotts gathering - am sure there's potential for an overseas trip in feb if anyone wants to organise.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40820 º places 1239 º 09:40 Mon 9/11/2017

Cotts was the end of May!

Fair enough. ... Its the dates to suit BIK winter gathering then ;)

It is of course Pigs Ear Beer Festival the week after, starting at noon on the Tuesday, so my last couple of days holiday will be tossed towards that ... can't say I'd be interested in a heavy weekend the one before.