Stone, Temple, Pilates

Reads 2500 • Replies 22 • Started Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:33:33 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hawthorne00
beers 8542 º places 63 º 21:33 Thu 2/6/2014

Time for a "what’s doing?" thread for Australia?

1. Stone not coming. Goes to show that a bloke can carry on like a frog in a sock without knowing what’s going on in his own organisation. Ah well, more grey for me - which has mostly been very good.

2. After a return from financial intrigue, there is more drama for Temple.

3. I’ve had a bit of a sore back. That core strength stuff is tedious but eventually the fear of sleeping injury diminishes.

maneliquor
beers 3513 º places 153 º 01:34 Fri 2/7/2014

Sucks for Temple, they were really bringing out some good stuff. Any word on where he is going to from Temple?

Ps. A few high ABV beers should do the trick with the back ;) just kidding. If it’s any consolation, I have had a back operation and know exactly what it feels like

hawthorne00
beers 8542 º places 63 º 01:20 Tue 2/11/2014

Eh, the back thing was mainly to facilitate my terrible joke.

Anyone get the Local Taphouse cask events over the weekend? I was busy but got their briefly today. It would be good to have some cask options around, so I hope it went well. I’d love to see some German barrels up on the bar too. The beer I had (Bright Pilot Light) had lost condition (assuming it had any) but was pretty good anyway.

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 18:21 Tue 2/11/2014

Didn’t make it to the Taphouse this time unfortunately. Would have really loved to but previous casks there haven’t been great. I’m not sure they and/or the brewers really have enough experience with them to do them well (yet).

The thing that has been bothering me a lot is that Northdown Craft Beer is Australia’s best brewer!!?!

Not that they aren’t nice beers, but surely Australia has a better brewery than this:
Northdown / Beer Here - Ryefix Single Hop Rye Ale 2.89
Northdown / Beer Here - Victoria’s Secret Single Hop Wheat 3.32
Northdown / Beer Here - Cool Hops Australian Lager 3.36

hawthorne00
beers 8542 º places 63 º 20:03 Tue 2/11/2014

Oh dear, that’s not a good look.

For starters, Northdown is not a brewer, they are a distributor. They started brewing collaboratively with Beer Here, but the name has been changed to Edge Project. Most of the beers look like they appear here under both names.

Presumably the other reason they scored well was that they made two beers that rank highly by style (which is pretty highly weighted): 19 reviews of a premium lager (the Edge version - which is the same beer, right? - is listed as pale lager) and 13 of a wheat ale. Probably exposes the limitations of the methodology.

ALLOVATE
beers 3849 º places 111 º 20:37 Tue 2/11/2014

Hey guys. In response to the Northdown/Beerhere & Edge Project mess it is one on my list to clean up on the site.
And as for the continuing dramas with Temple it is sad to see Ron Feruglio pull the pin. There is more to the story I think we all know.

ALLOVATE
beers 3849 º places 111 º 20:48 Tue 2/11/2014

Oh, and it will be good to see this one on the shelves. The first edition was fantastic!

hawthorne00
beers 8542 º places 63 º 22:54 Tue 2/11/2014

Yes, picked one up today. The label says the one going the other way was in a Port barrel.

ALLOVATE
beers 3849 º places 111 º 23:22 Tue 2/11/2014

I’m just waiting on Nøgne Ø to release the Aurora Australis II before adding it to the database. Interesting to use port barrels!
Is there a product description for the Aurora Borealis II on the label so I can add it to the site?

maneliquor
beers 3513 º places 153 º 01:57 Wed 2/12/2014

Ooooohhhh looking forward to that bad boy, the first version was amazing.

To be fair on the Edge brewing argument, I think their beers are great for the style like Hawthorne pointed out which helped bump it up. I think the main problem for most Aussie breweries not being recognized on the international scale is the fact that not enough of them bottle yet and obviously distribution is quite poor. NZ seem to be doing it right, especially the likes of 8 Wired as far as distribution goes. I think Feral would be right up there if they bottled some of their more obscure stuff on a regular basis

hawthorne00
beers 8542 º places 63 º 03:11 Wed 2/12/2014

"Aurora Borealis 2 is the final beer in a series of four from Bridge Road Brewers and nøgne Ø. The origins of this bottle of Tripel are in Norway where it was brewed. It was then filled into French Cognac barrels for unrefrigerated ocean travel to Australia. Aurora Borealis 2 is the sibling of Aurora Australis 2, a beer brewed in Beechworth and shipped to Norway in Australian Port barrels."