Suggestions for Indianapolis trip

Reads 1095 • Replies 12 • Started Monday, February 27, 2017 9:25:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 09:25 Mon 2/27/2017

Doesn’t look like a lot of activity in the forums here, but thought I’d ask about suggestions in case folks are still looking here.
Will be headed to Indianapolis for a mini vacation in late March and was wondering if there are any brewpubs that are must visit. At this point I’ve only been to Brugge. Also, if there are any good vegetarian/vegan restaurants & interesting things to do in general that would be appreciated at well.

Cheers,
John

b3shine
beers 12238 º places 373 º 09:58 Mon 2/27/2017

Downtownish: New Day, Chilly Waters, Sun King, La Margarita (not a brewery, but great draft options, and great food too), Koelschip (taproom owned by Central State)

Broad Ripple: Pretty underwhelming breweries, but Twenty Tap and HopCat are worth a stop, and there’s an Upland taproom too (check hours in advance). Thr3e Wise Men has pedestrian beer, but their pizza is good.

Periphery: Black Acre and Deviate; find time for both, as they’re among the best in the city. There’s also an Upland brewpub in Carmel.

If you want to know about food, entertainment, etc., or if you wanna grab a beer (assuming I’m in town), shoot me a message. Cheers.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 11:14 Mon 2/27/2017

Thanks so much for the info. I’ll let you know sooner about possibility of grabbing a beer. Only going to be there for two days (3/24-25) for girlfriend’s birthday, so not sure if I’ll have much free time. Just wanted to get out of town somewhere close where we’ve not spent time. My main exposure there is getting a beer and order of fries at Brugge on trip back from family vacations.

b3shine
beers 12238 º places 373 º 12:27 Mon 2/27/2017

You’re welcome. My Dad is coming into town for his birthday that weekend anyway, so I probably won’t be able to meet up for a beer, but if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16596 º places 798 º 13:52 Mon 2/27/2017

Originally posted by vyvvy
Also, if there are any good vegetarian/vegan restaurants & interesting things to do in general that would be appreciated at well.

From a vegan friend there:

Three Carrots - vegan place in Indy City Market. He loves it.
He also recommends India Sizzling II, and says Shoefly, Twenty Tap, and the Sinking Ship all have great vegan options.
I’ve been to Biscuits Café in Broad Ripple; not vegan/vegetarian per se, but lots of options and good for brunch/lunch.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 15:49 Mon 2/27/2017

Thanks Peter - a couple of those were on the radar, but some were new. Building up quite a list.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15132 º places 448 º 18:16 Mon 2/27/2017

Two heads up: Twenty Tap had a fire recently so may not be open (check Facebook or their webpage). Also Tomlinson Tap Room is upstairs in the City Market - usually has a nice taplist of Indiana beers with flights available. You can buy your food downstairs at Three Carrots and take it upstairs for the beer (the City Market doesn’t have formal restaurants/seating) - most food vendors close early on Saturday but says on Facebook that Three Carrots is open until 8 PM.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 20:22 Mon 2/27/2017

Taxman would be worth a stop if you are near the southern edge of the metro, but it’s far away from everything else, which is why I haven’t ever made it there myself.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 08:16 Tue 2/28/2017

Thanks all - looks like the City Market has quite a bit going on there. Looking forward to checking that out. Nice to be able to get flights of IN beers.

Yeah, was seeing some buzz about Taxman. Not sure I’ll be able to justify the trip down there on a short vacation, but would definitely like to check them out.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 21:41 Thu 3/2/2017

What would be a best bet for a bottle shop? I usually drop by Kahn’s when driving through.

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 20:49 Fri 3/3/2017

Supposedly the Crown Liquors right downtown is good, but I haven’t been there. Can anyone vouch for that?