Visiting Asheville

Reads 694 • Replies 10 • Started Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:40:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 05:40 Tue 3/1/2016

My wife and a beer buddy are going to be visiting Asheville 3/5-9. We plan to go to the top places on here, as well as visiting as many of the breweries as time will permit. Hopefully all of them. Is there anybody around those parts that would be up for sharing some info? Are there events going on that I should know about? Anybody want to meet up for a beer or a small in person trade?

Cheers!

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 08:07 Tue 3/1/2016

I don’t know the specifics, but you’re going right at the time of Sour Fest throughout that week: http://www.ratebeer.com/event/47216/sour-fest/

For such a great beer city (and cool city in general), there seem to be very few active ratebeerians in the area. Enjoy! Every trip to Asheville makes me want to go right back.

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 12:33 Tue 3/1/2016

Here’s fun, non-beer place, if you’re looking for a change of pace: http://ashevillepinball.com/

There is a bar with a decent beer selection there, as well,

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 12:43 Tue 3/1/2016

Thanks guys! I noticed that about Asheville. I looked through the top raters of the state and came up almost empty handed. Almost all the breweries seem to be rated most heavily by outsiders as well. That really struck me as odd.

Thanks for the pinball idea. My wife came across that in her searches too.

We do plan to visit sour fest. That is right up our alley.

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 05:37 Wed 3/2/2016

So how has Sour Fest worked in the past? Is it a festival where you buy a ticket to get in, then get a set amount of samples? Pay as you go? Something else? There isn’t much online right now. Any help would be appreciated.

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 08:43 Wed 3/2/2016

Not a whole lot of Ratebeer people here as you have found out. I’ve lived in Charlotte for the past year but haven’t been too active on RB and haven’t met up with any fellow RB’ers.
Asheville is a lot of fun. I’ll be there on 3/12 for the night with some friends and plan on hitting; WW Funktorium, Twin Leaf, Burial, Green Man, Catawba, and maybe High Wire. We are staying downtown so we can then walk over to Thirsty Monk and the main Wicked Weed brewery. The new Sierra Nevada brewery is a really nice place to visit as well. We may try to hit Oskar Blues too but it’s a little bit of a drive out of Asheville.

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 14:24 Thu 3/10/2016

I thought I should follow up on this after my trip, so here are my thoughts. I really loved my trip. So many beery places, a lot of which are not in the database. I’ll be adding the ones I found. Also, the food and people I came across were all great. I wish I would have had more days here. One thing of note for those planning a trip, you should know that the town doesn’t really wake up until mid-afternoon. Most breweries that are open during the week don’t open until 2-4 pm.

Thanks for the help I did get from this thread.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 19:20 Thu 3/10/2016

Originally posted by JStax
I thought I should follow up on this after my trip, so here are my thoughts. I really loved my trip. So many beery places, a lot of which are not in the database. I’ll be adding the ones I found. Also, the food and people I came across were all great. I wish I would have had more days here. One thing of note for those planning a trip, you should know that the town doesn’t really wake up until mid-afternoon. Most breweries that are open during the week don’t open until 2-4 pm.

alot of places?

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 06:28 Fri 3/11/2016

Originally posted by OldGrowth

alot of places?

Yes, I will add them soon.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 10:22 Sun 3/13/2016

Originally posted by OldGrowth

alot of places?

Yes, I will add them soon.

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 09:50 Mon 3/14/2016

I also had a great time there this weekend. Hit Wicked Weed Funktorium, Burial, Twin Leaf, Catawba, Green Man and Thirsty Monk. Dinner at Zambra (Tapas restaurant).
We also hit Fonta Flora & Catawba in Morganton on Sunday on the way back.