Western Canada Road Trip Planning

Reads 3227 • Replies 32 • Started Monday, August 8, 2016 12:33:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 12:05 Tue 8/9/2016

I was hoping to find some itineraries that people have done before, with driving time comments, info on the little stops that you might otherwise miss between larger cities, etc. TripAdvisor forums is usually good for that but I haven’t actually checked yet.

piscator34
beers 3673 º places 75 º 13:41 Tue 8/9/2016

Spruce Woods Provincial Park is one of my favorites in Manitoba. It’s about a 2 hour drive from Winnipeg, and not too far off the beaten track when you’re making your way west. The campground isn’t all that interesting, but there are some fun hiking trails, and the sand dunes at Spirit Sands are quite unique (for the Prairies).

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 00:26 Wed 8/10/2016

Driving times are long. Not a big surprise about that. And last time I did that, there were hardly any breweries. So if you’re stopping at breweries and parks, you’ve got to think a week is minimal.

Worth mentioning that Dinosaur PP in Alberta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as is the Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump, which works if you take Hwy 3 instead of the Trans-Canada. The Rockies are beautiful either way, though I would say that if you’ve never been through Banff NP before, you’d want to take that route.

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 06:35 Wed 8/10/2016

Yeah, I did some quick plotting and it looks like about 15 days minimum just to briefly hit all the main parks and towns that are on our radar.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 07:46 Wed 8/10/2016

Originally posted by jercraigs
Not sure if we’d be camping or not. We’d have to buy/rent equipment if we fly into Winnipeg/Vancouver - I don’t really want to spend two - three days just driving from Toronto to Winnipeg.

We shall see!

Parks Canada has teamed up with MEC to provide equipped campsites at select parks across the country:
www.pc.gc.ca/eng/vo yage-travel/heberg ement-accommodatio n/equip.aspx

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 10:10 Wed 8/10/2016

Originally posted by CapFlu
Parks Canada has teamed up with MEC to provide equipped campsites at select parks across the country:
www.pc.gc.ca/eng/vo yage-travel/heberg ement-accommodatio n/equip.aspx

Nice!

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 16:06 Sat 8/20/2016

Add the Mennonite Heritage Village in Steinbach to your list! Everyone wants a chance to drink in Canada’s most infamous formerly-dry town, right? Plus you can do beer trades with rebel Mennonites.

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 10:34 Sun 1/15/2017

So I think this is likely a go - pending getting vacation approved at work, and booking a flight! Tentative plan is to fly into Calgary Jun 19, head north through the Rockies then back down and fly home from Winnipeg July 5/6. So far I have only booked a rental car and two nights stay in Jasper. Looking at some guesthouses near Yoho/Field BC if anyone has any recommendations. They seem to be the best option for <$200/night.

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:10 Mon 1/16/2017

Malta? Sign me up!

Dinosaur PP really isn’t worth it aside from the look out before you drop into it. Drumheller area is way more interesting. Depending on your route Wells Gray is a really cool place for waterfalls over the old volcanic basalt footprint. If you head into BC from Jasper you’ll drive right past it before you stop at Red Beard in Kamloops. :)

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:58 Mon 1/16/2017

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/huts/stanley-mitchell-hut/

^Takkakaw Falls!

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/huts/bow-hut/

^Bow Hut would be beyond the highlight of any trip. Access is not that bad if you can push out a 5hr hike with beer. I do this shit. Nothing will beat getting out of your car for a night on foot.