What’s new and what’s just tweaked?

Reads 603 • Replies 5 • Started Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:50:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hawthorne00
beers 8559 º places 63 º 05:50 Wed 10/29/2014

There’s a whole bunch of Australian beers coming out that I’m confused about whether they’re really new beers or just occasionally released beers that are a bit tweaked but really the same beer.

Some are obviously new: MoonDog’s Jumping the Shark Series, for example. And the Abbey Collaby series. The Murray’s Anniversary Ales, too.

But others I’m not sure about. Is Bright’s Stubborn Russian really a new beer? There’s a new version listed at 8.9%, but ratings for the retired version seemed to vary from 7.5 to 9.1%. Is the Murray’s/ Crafty "Bicep" stout different enough from last time to be a new beer? I first added my notes for Red Hill’s Whisky BA Imperial Stout under the old version before someone added the 2014 version. I thought it was the same beer slightly differently executed. And although I liked their Gin BA Temptation this time more than last time, there was nothing on the label that would have lead me to know I was drinking a new beer rather than one that was made from time to time with slightly varying results.

maneliquor
beers 3513 º places 153 º 18:11 Fri 10/31/2014

Murrays/Craft Bicep apparantly is tweaked. I read (can’t remember where) that the peated malt they used was significantly increased as well as the amount of oysters used.

Not sure on the others though.

From a West Aussie POV, I don’t feel Feral Tusk should have any seperate listings. As far as I am aware, and after a few discussions with a few people that work for Feral, it is the exact same beer which gets released once a year. The only thing that changes is the variety of hops due to what is available for them.

Although I can understand the argument for a seperate listing if this is the case, Kernel in point or Renaissance MPA in point .etc

hawthorne00
beers 8559 º places 63 º 05:08 Sun 11/2/2014

I’ve wondered about Tusk, too.

It looks like Stubborn Russian 2014 is different - there’s some stock ale blended in, which could make it pretty interesting. Dunno why they didn’t just give it a different name though - maybe that’s the stubborn part.

gam
beers 4242 º places 30 º 16:32 Tue 11/4/2014

I agree(change name) because when I looked up the stout I do remember I had done a rating on it before and sure enough there was a red tick beside the name so do not know what to think.

fletchfighters
beers 1836 º places 184 º 07:41 Wed 11/5/2014

Will use the Murray’s anniversary ale as an example. Those should have seperate listings as it is an anniversary (vintage) ale. Coopers vintage ale should have a separate entities as the hops do change yearly.
Tusk, riverside 777, tusk, stubborn Russian, red hill BA temptation, and double barrel RIS should have single entries. If black tuesday, parabola, and others in that type have a single entry and all that really changes is the ABV. It should be a single entry. I think the beer has to be radically different to get a separate entry in the database.
James squire hop thief is best example as each year a different hop variety so it deserves a new listing according to the hops.

maneliquor
beers 3513 º places 153 º 23:16 Mon 11/10/2014

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet to me!