Are people using Ticks and Rates in this way... ???

Reads 3540 • Replies 29 • Started Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:13:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:13 Wed 10/18/2017

I'm wondering if people require a tick AND rate for the same beer?

Are there big tickers here who really want the ability to have ticks AND rates for the same beer? If so can you tell me a bit about how you use ticks in this case?

I know multiple ticks for the same beer is something that some people want but it's not very RateBeer to amass a lot of ticks for the same beer. We might create some feature in the future that allows this but I'm looking to do some clean up now. All comments welcome!

bytemesis
beers 15336 º places 1598 º 23:26 Wed 10/18/2017

Not I. I dont really use ticks at all, but I could see using them as a reminder to rate (I use checkins for places for that purpose). However, once I upload a full rating, I dont want/need a tick as well.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 00:26 Thu 10/19/2017

I don't use ticks at all except a few beers which were made ticks since they became unratable.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 00:57 Thu 10/19/2017

I don't use ticks but I heard that people use them for beers they have in the cellar or beers that they rated in the backlog and in both cases tick rating is not needed

Borresteijn
beers 11298 º places 404 º 01:54 Thu 10/19/2017

I use ticks when I'm not in the mood to give a full rating right away. I'll rate these later and delete the tick then. However, sometimes I forget to delete the tick. So then I have both a tick and rate for the same beer (until I notice it, then I'll fix it)

Are you considering check-ins, like UT does? I use UT to keep track of my (bad) drinking habits, e.g. all the shitty lagers at birthday parties etc. Would be nice to have a counter for every beer, stating how many times you've had it. So e.g. if you've already rated a beer, you get the option to re-rate, or to click on 'having this again" or something like that.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 02:02 Thu 10/19/2017

Originally posted by Borresteijn
I use ticks when I'm not in the mood to give a full rating right away. I'll rate these later and delete the tick then. However, sometimes I forget to delete the tick. So then I have both a tick and rate for the same beer (until I notice it, then I'll fix it)

This I do as well. However, I never feel urged to delete the tick, so I hardly ever do that.

@Joet: I'm not really interested in ticking beers multiple times, although I would use the feature if it is available. If the private rating / tick would count towards my personal stats (# countries, # breweries) and would show up in my friends' lists, I would seriously consider entering more private ratings, as I'm bored with writing full reviews (specifically during social events like tastings and festivals).

A very good example on how people (ab)use the current tick system, is our good friend fonefan ;-)
"Trading or Tastings CHECK also my "Beer Ticks"
1 star = in backlog
2 stars = in order
3 stars = at next tasting
4 stars = in ongoing trade
5 stars = in cellar not rated"

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 04:46 Thu 10/19/2017

I use ticks all the time and only rate odd beers. Only need to tick it once.

The option is not ideal as there is no record of me having ticked the beer and it's not as visible in the same way as a rate and no stats are available.

I've amassed 12k plus ticks so an upgrade would massively benefit me. I'd consider rating stuff it it was simple and could attach to a venue in the same way as a rating.

I joined rb primarily for the place ratings before anyone suggests Untappd!

LazyPyro
beers 8175 º places 63 º 05:08 Thu 10/19/2017

I can go without ticks.

When I first joined RB I only used ticks because I was living up to my name and being too lazy to write a proper rating, I also felt I didn't have any clue what I was talking about. As I quickly got more and more into beer I wrote actual ratings, but still to this day I also give a tick, but only out of habit, I never actually look at my ticks so wouldn't care if they disappeared.
My scale was:
1 star = terrible/undrinkable/never drink again
2 star = bad but drinkable
3 star = average but wouldn't really care about having it again
4 star = good, would love to drink again
5 star = outstanding

fonefan
beers 74116 º places 698 º 09:25 Thu 10/19/2017

As I am writing on my profile page....

Trading or Tastings CHECK also my "Beer Ticks"
1 star = in backlog
2 stars = in order
5 stars = in cellar not rated

fonefan
beers 74116 º places 698 º 09:26 Thu 10/19/2017

Originally posted by fonefan

1 star = in backlog
2 stars = in order

and when I made my rate off the beer I will then delete my Ticks (stars)

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:33 Thu 10/19/2017

1 star = in backlog
2 stars = in order

and when I made my rate off the beer I will then delete my Ticks (stars)

Wow!