English Pale ale

Reads 6289 • Replies 59 • Started Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:22:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

redders1974
beers 3273 º places 120 º 13:22 Thu 11/2/2017

Is there an agenda to get rid of this style? Some more of my rates have changed style for no apparent reason after looking through one was a festival special that I was the only rater thats been changed to a pale lager. Another if from a brewery that closed 2 years ago been changed to a golden ale.

Jow
beers 7350 º places 487 º 13:54 Thu 11/2/2017

I lost a couple as well on the hunt for 1 or 2 to get back to comfortable level

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 14:12 Thu 11/2/2017

Not an admin, so I don't know if there's a move to remove this style, but if there's not then there should be

BeardedAvenger
beers 7330 º places 596 º 14:12 Thu 11/2/2017

I queried this a while back. As per the description, EPA is an American style. So if it's a UK brewery then it's considered to be a Golden/Pale Ale. As alluded to in the prior post, one ooinion is that there's no such thing.

However I'v also noticed a lot of beers being changed to bitters, stout, etc. Some UK admins dont seem to approve of anything other than bog standard styles, ie Sweet Stouts getting changed to Stout.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 14:19 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by redders1974
Is there an agenda to get rid of this style?

I wouldn't miss it. We certainly don't use it much, if at all, in the UK. Historically - and that includes within my drinking lifetime - it was generally just the bottled version of the brewer's bitter. Not really pale, at least in modern day terms, at all. You rarely saw bottled beers labelled as Bitter.

It may have come to mean something different in the US but I don't have enough experience of EPAs brewed in the US to know whether that's the case and, if so, what that might be. I've noticed it has started to creep back as a term used in labelling here in the UK but what it actually signifies is inconsistent and not at all clear.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 14:21 Thu 11/2/2017

Scottish Ale isn't brewed in Scotland but brewed in other countries
English Pale Ale isn't brewed in England but brewed in other countries
American Pale Ale is brewed everywhere
Belgian Ale is brewed everywhere
Go figure.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 14:28 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by BeardedAvenger
So if it's a UK brewery then it's considered to be a Golden/Pale Ale.

Not necessarily. See my previous post. Bottled Bass was labelled as Pale Ale and still is in some export markets. As I understand it, it gave rise to a lot of cloning when home brewing in the US was legalised. It, and beers like it, may have been responsible for the English Pale Ale style. Hardly anyone in the UK would think of Bass as anything but a bitter these days. And not a very pale one at that.

Sigmund
beers 13325 º places 447 º 15:40 Thu 11/2/2017

While pale ales are not necessarily very pale, they are paler than the counterpart of their heyday in the 19th Century, the porter. As a historical style, they deserve to stay. To further confusion, the bitter is not necessarily very bitter at all, just somewhat more bitter than their counterpart, the mild. Sorting out British beer styles is not easy.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 18:05 Thu 11/2/2017

Cask Bitters come to the US as ESB due to the higher malt build to survive the trip. The only true to style Bitters I've had were made here.

English styles are very ambiguous.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:17 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
Cask Bitters come to the US as ESB due to the higher malt build to survive the trip. The only true to style Bitters I've had were made here.

English styles are very ambiguous.

Higher malt builds....I could never understand why the India Pale Ales got the rep that they did. You know. The one aboot the Brits sending beer to India that were highly hopped so they would survive the trip...

Oakes
admin
beers 30670 º places 1135 º 18:24 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by redders1974
Is there an agenda to get rid of this style? Some more of my rates have changed style for no apparent reason after looking through one was a festival special that I was the only rater thats been changed to a pale lager. Another if from a brewery that closed 2 years ago been changed to a golden ale.

Just curious if you can provide examples.