Hill Farmstead Is Over Hyped shit?

Reads 6559 • Replies 76 • Started Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:31:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 03:21 Mon 10/23/2017

Ps not calling out garvie's rating there - just happened to be looking at it!

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 03:34 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by The_Osprey
Ps... not .....calling .....out .....garvie's.... rating ....there -...... just .....happened .....to .....be..... looking....
at.... it!

FatPhil
beers 26286 º places 998 º 05:36 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by haukur
look, everybody has a right to their opinions. You can hate HF all you want

If you think "not bad" equates to "hate", then no meaningful dialogue is possible.

Leighton
beers 33797 º places 1204 º 06:09 Mon 10/23/2017

In all seriousness, great brewery but there seems to be a HF score baseline. Rose tinted glasses. If you dressed up any classic Belgian beer and called it HF Bob it would average 4.3.

People seem to give marks for 'drinkability' that they would give to no other beer in that style. Good example below. Where do you see people saying 'this is so malty, clean and drinkable - 4.1'? Never, except HF

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hill-farmstead-marie/510890/36509/

'Drinkability' and 'balance' are nebulous (and broadly subjective) terms, but IMO there is no better brewery at striking balance in their beers than HF. For the styles they do best according to consensus, I think it's the balance that sets them apart.

As for calling Marie 'malty', that's a bit vague. It is malty, but not like a brown ale or something. It's a helles, so it has a nice crisp, pale breadiness about it. Marie is most certainly clean and drinkable.

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 06:39 Mon 10/23/2017

In all seriousness, great brewery but there seems to be a HF score baseline. Rose tinted glasses. If you dressed up any classic Belgian beer and called it HF Bob it would average 4.3.

People seem to give marks for 'drinkability' that they would give to no other beer in that style. Good example below. Where do you see people saying 'this is so malty, clean and drinkable - 4.1'? Never, except HF

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hill-farmstead-marie/510890/36509/

This is seen all over the place with really good lagers, sours and other crisp beers. This one for instance: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ganstaller-brau-pils/162657/

Haven't tried Marie myself but if it's close to their Mary pilsener then I'm sure it's delicious.

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 06:53 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil

If you think "not bad" equates to "hate", then no meaningful dialogue is possible.

I said "you can". As in you are free to think whatever you want. I did not say you hated that brewery but you were free to do so if you want.

Leighton
beers 33797 º places 1204 º 07:10 Mon 10/23/2017

I said "you can". As in you are free to think whatever you want. I did not say you hated that brewery but you were free to do so if you want.

Phil likes to be provocative by saying all kinds of dubious things. The man isn't even fat, last I checked.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 09:21 Mon 10/23/2017

This belongs on the new forum.

b3shine
beers 12217 º places 372 º 09:42 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by AdamChandler
This belongs on the new forum.

Why, so nobody sees it?

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 09:42 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by Leighton

Phil likes to be provocative by saying all kinds of dubious things. The man isn't even fat, last I checked.