Is the brewer search redundant?

Reads 1653 • Replies 30 • Started Friday, October 20, 2017 12:37:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:37 Fri 10/20/2017

If we provide the name and link to the brewer page with beer results, then is the list of brewer returns superfluous?
Another way of phrasing this is, how often is it the case that a brewer name is not in the beer name? Is it infrequent enough that touching through to advanced search is not a big convenience.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 13:01 Fri 10/20/2017

When I am posting my ratings from BA, I rarely got a search hit without putting in the brewery name.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:20 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by Bill Becker
When I am posting my ratings from BA, I rarely got a search hit without putting in the brewery name.

Exactly right.

Searching for "IPA" or "Brown Ale" won't be a very fruitful search.

Maybe I'm not being clear? The brewery name is part of the beer name here so most people include some reference to it in their search which is why if you are searching for a brewery, you get the beers and the brewery in our results. i wouldn't need to perform a separate search for breweries if I just pull that info from the beer searches.

Hmmm... so much to think about and improve.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 15:46 Fri 10/20/2017

But, the brewery with lots of beers, you can't currently click on the list because it's disabled. I had to search on Google for some of the beers ratings on RB to get to where I needed to be.
Odell IPA being an example.

blipp
beers 14902 º places 219 º 15:47 Fri 10/20/2017

I don't know if I'm understanding what you're asking, but if you're searching for a brewery with a very common name, it helps to have the "brewery" results come up on the search page alongside the "beer" results.

The best example I can think of is Stone Brewing. Using the search function to navigate to the brewery page isn't the easiest thing to do. Just searching "Stone" gives you way to many results... none of them are Stone and there is no way to page through or filter the results in any other way to find what you're looking for.

So, to answer what I think is your question -- yes it is occasionally useful to have those brewery results populate from the main search function.

blipp
beers 14902 º places 219 º 15:48 Fri 10/20/2017

Another good example is trying to find "Stone IPA." To navigate to this beer you *have* to go through the brewery page, because searching for just "Stone IPA" will give you a bunch of beers with "Stone" and "IPA" in them, all in alphabetical order and with no way to filter or organize or page through.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 15:49 Fri 10/20/2017

I definitely search for breweries rather than beers on occasion

blipp
beers 14902 º places 219 º 15:56 Fri 10/20/2017

Originally posted by blipp
Another good example is trying to find "Stone IPA." To navigate to this beer you *have* to go through the brewery page, because searching for just "Stone IPA" will give you a bunch of beers with "Stone" and "IPA" in them, all in alphabetical order and with no way to filter or organize or page through.

I now see that there is a "show exact match" function. But interestingly if you check this and search for "Stone IPA" it still doesn't bring up normal Stone IPA. Also, if you try to navigate through the brewery page, viewing the beers under the brewery main page has been "temporarily disabled."

Ferris
beers 23108 º places 1878 º 15:59 Fri 10/20/2017

No, thew brewer name is not necessarily tied to the the actual name of the beer. Also in the case of Sake it is rare for the brewer to be a part of the name.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1568 º places 1912 º 16:44 Fri 10/20/2017

Helps if you're in a taproom. Quick look at list of brewery via search you can search rated beers (hopefully plus private rates soon!)

Jow
beers 7392 º places 495 º 16:57 Fri 10/20/2017

I search for brewers all the time since want to see if I’ve had anything by them since always trying to collect new unique breweries.

And yes sake the brewer isn’t in name typically so for us dedicated few it makes difference.