Is the brewer search redundant?

Reads 1649 • Replies 30 • Started Friday, October 20, 2017 12:37:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

neongolden
beers 4394 º 03:46 Sat 10/21/2017

Definitely not redundant. Yes, you can get to the brewery through a beer brewed there, but that's extra clicking for nothing when the breweries are displayed on the search page. Additionally, as blipp has said above, there are often brewers whose name will return tons of beers that aren't theirs in the toplist, if it's a common word in names and they're mid-to-late in the alphabet. That problem is exacerbated if they collaborate a lot and many beers they're involved in brewed elsewhere at locations with names earlier in the alphabet also populate the toplist.

Unfortunately the example of searching for "Bell's" is terrible because terms like that, or "Jackie O's", currently don't even return those brewery entries (at least for me), and indeed only return a tiny number of beers from those breweries. I assume this is something to do with the apostrophe encoding, but shows there are things to fix in search to focus on, rather than stripping out breweries from search returns.

jonas
beers 14085 º places 155 º 05:23 Sat 10/21/2017

Another use-case: We have plenty of breweries with similar or identical names - try to search for "Adler" or "Schwan". Just from the beer names it is hard to navigate to the right one but the brewery list with location makes it easy.

madmitch76
beers 37081 º places 240 º 05:59 Sat 10/21/2017

I can't search for 'Brewdog Dog A' at the moment. Returns are too generic even though I'm being exacting about the beer name. I can't find it through the brewery listing because that is 'temporarily disabled'. Is there another way of reaching this beer?

I hope the brewery listing disablement is really only temporary, I use that all the time.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:17 Sat 10/21/2017

And a way to ensure brewer search and highlight a brewer search result would be the inclusion of a brewery string like brewing, pivovar, cerveceria, brasserie, etc

jjsint
beers 7771 º places 1341 º 10:09 Sat 10/21/2017

Originally posted by madmitch76
I hope the brewery listing disablement is really only temporary, I use that all the time.

+1

SinH4
beers 15470 º places 416 º 11:40 Sat 10/21/2017

Originally posted by joet
how often is it the case that a brewer name is not in the beer name?

Probably rare in the US, but in Belgium...

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 07:10 Sun 10/22/2017

And a way to ensure brewer search and highlight a brewer search result would be the inclusion of a brewery string like brewing, pivovar, cerveceria, brasserie, etc

I don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking about yet up to this point. You seem to be implying some sort of new functionality but it is entirely not clear what that is.

Marduk
beers 22023 º places 969 º 09:12 Sun 10/22/2017

Originally posted by blipp
It looks like the people have spoken. The ability to easily search by brewery will be removed. Thanks, everyone!

Salty. What I mean is that if you wrote "Adairius" or "Bell's" or even "sierra nevada" and searched, if the process simply looked up beers with those terms and grabbed the breweries from those beers, a separate search for brewers would be unnecessary.

You can't search for "Bell's". Apostrophe in search is broken.

jercraigs
beers 14887 º places 1051 º 11:35 Sun 10/22/2017

I would NEVER search that way since it actually seems like a guaranteed way to NOT find what you're searching for in many cases. If I search for Example Brewing and it is in the database as Example Brewery, etc. it won't come up. If I search Stone City Brewing it doesn't return Stone City Ales as an example.

If the goal is to reduce server load or some such thing than adding some radio buttons with the option to limit searches to Beer, Brewery, Places, some combination. Or provide a more prominent link to the Advanced Search option on all pages.

I frequently do a search for a brewery for various reasons. Especially if I know what a search for the beer phrase is potentially going to return >100 results.

Stuu666
beers 28731 º places 502 º 01:52 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by SinH4
how often is it the case that a brewer name is not in the beer name?

Probably rare in the US, but in Belgium...

Exactly what I was going to say.

+1 for having beers and breweries returned in the search results.