OMG-level outliers: Most Breweries Rated

Reads 5272 • Replies 44 • Started Monday, October 30, 2017 6:21:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 06:41 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by omhper
Taking this stat a bit further into the geek zone now...
By plotting the ratio (y) of each users on the list, as a function of # of beers rated (x) , we can observe that there is a clear relation beween the number of beers rated and the ratio. This is highly expected. For instance any user with only 1 rating would near certainly have an ratio of 1.00...

https://imgur.com/a/xE7gU

Almost looks like 2 sub-populations, as there's a hint of a pelvic fin. It would be interesting to see if the two subsets could be distinguished by some other trait (nationality, age, socioeconomic group, travlriness, self-proclaimed completist tendencies, whatever)

omhper
beers 40262 º places 332 º 06:58 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by CH-303
Not rated enough breweries to get into the Top-100, but with 2350 ratings from 1055 breweries, I'd slot in at number two with 0.44894. Since I only average around 4-5 beers a week, it's making it easier to try new breweries quite often.

That would give you a CTI of -0.187, and slot you in between BlackHaddock and yespr near the bottom of the completist ticker list.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 07:06 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by CH-303
Not rated enough breweries to get into the Top-100, but with 2350 ratings from 1055 breweries, I'd slot in at number two with 0.44894. Since I only average around 4-5 beers a week, it's making it easier to try new breweries quite often.

That would give you a CTI of -0.187, and slot you in between BlackHaddock and yespr near the bottom of the completist ticker list.

Cool, thanks for calculating. Still lots of work to do, then ;-).

AndySnow
beers 16622 º places 323 º 07:23 Thu 11/2/2017

44 AndySnow 1796 8035 0,223522091 0,222928143 -0,003

So I'm fairly close to the expected value, whatever that might mean.

Oakes
admin
beers 30670 º places 1135 º 18:32 Thu 11/2/2017

That's hilarious. Berko and I at opposite ends of the spectrum. Same # of rates, but I've had from 2000 more breweries.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 18:57 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Originally posted by t0rin0
In other words the people at the bottom of the list are trying EVERYTHING and going to lots of breweries to do that, while the people at the top are buying one beer at a time from the gas station for the sake of ticking a new brewery. /uneducated stats opinion

Completely wrong Grumbo like myself travels a great deal, I also go to beer festivals in England, Scotland and Belgium. Monthly 'beer exchange' meetings and the occasional 'Grand Tasting' have pushed me up the ladder too. California (and Las Vegas) has also added to my total with the opportunity of trying flights in so many bars/breweries. Add that my cruises to the West Coast of the US or back to the UK via Mexico, various Central American Countries and Caribbean islands.

Or I could mention this years 'Grand European Tour' where I drove to The Czech Republic staying in German Brew Pubs along the way (and five nights in Belgium).

You are correct in the fact it is an "uneducated stats opinion" though, so a good disclaimer at the end!

<*))))))><

The "gas station tickers" comment was made with you in mind

BlackHaddock
beers 15466 º places 1056 º 13:01 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
In other words the people at the bottom of the list are trying EVERYTHING and going to lots of breweries to do that, while the people at the top are buying one beer at a time from the gas station for the sake of ticking a new brewery. /uneducated stats opinion

Completely wrong Grumbo like myself travels a great deal, I also go to beer festivals in England, Scotland and Belgium. Monthly 'beer exchange' meetings and the occasional 'Grand Tasting' have pushed me up the ladder too. California (and Las Vegas) has also added to my total with the opportunity of trying flights in so many bars/breweries. Add that my cruises to the West Coast of the US or back to the UK via Mexico, various Central American Countries and Caribbean islands.

Or I could mention this years 'Grand European Tour' where I drove to The Czech Republic staying in German Brew Pubs along the way (and five nights in Belgium).

You are correct in the fact it is an "uneducated stats opinion" though, so a good disclaimer at the end!

<*))))))><

The "gas station tickers" comment was made with you in mind

Ha, I honestly can not remember the last time I bought a beer at a Gas Station, apart from here: https://www.ratebeer.com/p/garage-brewing-company-and-pizzeria-temecula/39278/

<*))))))><

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 16:34 Fri 11/3/2017

I can't remember the last time I went to a gas station (seven years ago?) and yet my breweries-to-ratings ratio is 0.335. So much for the cheap gas station ticker theory.

Crit
beers 5014 º places 159 º 20:24 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by wheresthepath
Stats like this (and the many other stats on here) are one of the main things that keeps me on Ratebeer. I hope to make it into more of the top 50 leagues one day...

One point though - some of the "top 50" leagues show your own total at the bottom. (even if you've not joined the illustrious top 50 yet) whilst others don't. What's the chance of getting your the site to show personal stats at the bottom of all leagues? This would be really helpful.

Cheers!

+1

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 03:19 Sat 11/4/2017

This is too much for my maths brain to work out.
Can someone tell me for my stats what it means?
i.e. can someone do the hard work for me and then tell me in words of one syllable what the numbers say about me as a drinker/rater
Thanks in advance