RateBeer update: New RateBeer mobile app version

Reads 3578 • Replies 25 • Started Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:07:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:07 Thu 10/26/2017

Version 1.6 of the app is out and we hope you share our excitement about it. Here's what's changed:

* Added user stats to user profile page (personal ratings, ratings, styles, countries, breweries and spots)
* Improved search experience by making search navigation more intuitive.
* Added the ability to spot a beer at RateBeer locations
* Note that this is a basic precursor to finding nearby RateBeer locations and availability at those places. Location services haven't been added yet so you have to search for locations, but they're coming soon.

We've also addressed bugs with the following:
* Fixed an issue on Android where the button to submit a review would be hidden underneath the keyboard.
* Fixed some issues with the profile image upload.

Up next: Barcode scanning and location services.

Android users on Lollipop 5.1 and below might need to grant permission called "Record Audio" upon install. This has been added to make the upcoming barcode scanning to work since it uses the camera view (Google is a master of unfortunate phrasing).

Cheers

The RateBeer Team

brandon1989
beers 847 º places 7 º 12:35 Fri 10/27/2017

Thanks for the update and can't wait for bar code scanning!

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 12:44 Fri 10/27/2017

Ok what are Beer spots?

and i have 4 personal ratings ( i suspect errors) how do i find these. As i prob need tidy these up

also how do i search for a place

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 12:59 Fri 10/27/2017

Thanks Wyatt!

Sledutah
beers 11279 º places 952 º 14:25 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Ok what are Beer spots?

and i have 4 personal ratings ( i suspect errors) how do i find these. As i prob need tidy these up

I was going to ask the same thing about Beer Spots. I thought maybe it was places, but the numbers about 50 lower than it should be.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 14:33 Fri 10/27/2017

Well i managed to get rid of the ticks/ personal ratings on web site . Yeah. Love the Country and breweries numbers being visible.

Still struggle with the Eleasic Search like Gan staller doesnt work cause of the space. Though for some reason i thought there was one.

Can still see it being a real pain in places where i cant read chalk board well. SO need guess lots of letters.
and no idea how it will work when people tell me out load but time will tell

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:49 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by Sledutah
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Ok what are Beer spots?

I was going to ask the same thing about Beer Spots. I thought maybe it was places, but the numbers about 50 lower than it should be.

Beerspotting is just letting us know where and what you're seeing out in the beer world. It allows us to pair beers and places for sharing with other people. Even if the beer is about to go off tap, this kind of info is useful to us in that users can use the info to understand what breweries and their distributors have relationships with particular retailers.

We've had beerspotting on the site for several years now and awards related to it.

We'll be adding a summary in the user profile sometime in the coming weeks.

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 13:03 Mon 10/30/2017

Hey everyone, Stefanos here from the RateBeer mobile team. As you've noticed and pointed out, beer spots is pretty simple so far, but users are showing interest in it already. There's confusion about what its purpose is, so I'm planning on testing some language tweaks (e.g., it could say "spot this" instead of "beer spots"). Do you think that would make it clearer?

Location services are coming soon so you can quickly find locations nearby and spot a beer without having to use text search. Spotting is separate from "places" on the web since the idea is to associate a beer with a place.

Let me know if you have any questions and keep the feedback coming.

rouhlas
admin
beers 5623 º places 348 º 13:43 Mon 10/30/2017

Geia sou Stefane!

I think that "spot this" or something similar would be better yes.

Question.. When I check a beer that I had added the place where I had that beer then I can see that there is a beer spot.. But when I check a beer for which I know that someone else has added the location where you can find that beer (through the website) then I don't see any beer spots.
Is this intended?

ratebeerian
beers 3 º places 1 º 14:05 Mon 10/30/2017

Originally posted by rouhlas
Geia sou Stefane!

I think that "spot this" or something similar would be better yes.

Question.. When I check a beer that I had added the place where I had that beer then I can see that there is a beer spot.. But when I check a beer for which I know that someone else has added the location where you can find that beer (through the website) then I don't see any beer spots.
Is this intended?

Geia sou Rouhla!

Thanks for this. That's correct, right now you will only see your own "spots" of a beer. As more people start using this feature it definitely makes sense to add availability of specific beers to the app (i.e., where other users spotted the beer).

rouhlas
admin
beers 5623 º places 348 º 14:16 Mon 10/30/2017

I add spots (through the website so far) in order to help others to find out which beers are available in a specific place or where they can find a specific beer.
I think most of the people are doing the same.
For my record I just write in my review where I has the beer.
So I think it would be great if we could see all the spots of a beer and not only ours.