NE IPAs, the Emperor's New Clothes?

Reads 5674 • Replies 42 • Started Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:45:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37694 º places 457 º 14:32 Wed 11/1/2017

Im just gonna piss you off ian. Im not a fan, i find them very much like a lot of the Kernel. All of them blend into one. Not bad. But dont float my boat, all ok all hitting the same spots. Decent at what they are but not something that wows me

Im with Leighton in that this style more than most seems to want FRESH FRESH FRESH though ive had some that are way to GREEN

But in the end it seems to have built its self round hype. get it , get it now, ots gonna be good and its gonna be gone tomorrow.

Loved my trip to NY. and other half was good, but 15 of the 20 beers i had there would have been imposible to differentiate from one another 10 minutes later. All decent but too much the same

Leighton
beers 33792 º places 1204 º 14:40 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
Sorry Leighton thats all hype bullshit.

OK Ian. All the brewers I've ever seen quoted on hazy IPAs are part of a grand conspiracy to separate you from your sterling.

Leighton
beers 33792 º places 1204 º 14:43 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Im just gonna piss you off ian. Im not a fan, i find them very much like a lot of the Kernel. All of them blend into one. Not bad. But dont float my boat, all ok all hitting the same spots. Decent at what they are but not something that wows me

Im with Leighton in that this style more than most seems to want FRESH FRESH FRESH though ive had some that are way to GREEN

But in the end it seems to have built its self round hype. get it , get it now, ots gonna be good and its gonna be gone tomorrow.

Loved my trip to NY. and other half was good, but 15 of the 20 beers i had there would have been imposible to differentiate from one another 10 minutes later. All decent but too much the same

I don't think 'hype' is the main factor here. Rather, it's a shift in taste preferences.

cgarvieuk
beers 37694 º places 457 º 14:53 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by Leighton

I don't think 'hype' is the main factor here. Rather, it's a shift in taste preferences.

Really and you dont think they couldnt have made the same beer again and again.But instead have chosen to make an almost unlimited almost identical range of beers.

Not saying any are bad, or that marketing isnt clever. But yeah i think theyre playing a hype train.
Like i say ive ahd a fair few but nothing brought it to the front more than the visit to Other Half where 15 of the 20 on the board. I could buy three at a time, take my notes, have stella shuffle and then still couldnt tell what was what. And Stella was much of the same opinion

Garret Oliver made a great comment about this kind of marketing.
You can have as many face lifts as you want, but your still going to look old sooner or later

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 15:31 Wed 11/1/2017

I don't think sheep is the right word here.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 15:34 Wed 11/1/2017

Regardless of your opinions, NE IPAs are changing the minds of many who dismissed the style as "too abrasive." Is that worth anything? If you don't like them, don't drink it. Trillium and Cloudwater will still thrive without your input, trust me.

Leighton
beers 33792 º places 1204 º 15:58 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Really and you dont think they couldnt have made the same beer again and again.But instead have chosen to make an almost unlimited almost identical range of beers.

Not saying any are bad, or that marketing isnt clever. But yeah i think theyre playing a hype train.
Like i say ive ahd a fair few but nothing brought it to the front more than the visit to Other Half where 15 of the 20 on the board. I could buy three at a time, take my notes, have stella shuffle and then still couldnt tell what was what. And Stella was much of the same opinion

Garret Oliver made a great comment about this kind of marketing.
You can have as many face lifts as you want, but your still going to look old sooner or later

Gravie, we aren't talking about the same thing. I'm just saying that hazy IPAs *overall* have become popular because people like the style. That's a shift. People used to like really bitter West Coast IPA (some still do).

Certain hazy IPA breweries are hyped, no doubt. That doesn't entirely explain the rise of the style (or sub-style, if you like).

As for breweries doing tons of iteration...that's their call. Yes, there is a lot of overlap, but there are also differences - some profound, some more nuanced.

cgarvieuk
beers 37694 º places 457 º 16:06 Wed 11/1/2017

Gravie, we aren't talking about the same thing. I'm just saying that hazy IPAs *overall* have become popular because people like the style. That's a shift. People used to like really bitter West Coast IPA (some still do).

Certain hazy IPA breweries are hyped, no doubt. That doesn't entirely explain the rise of the style (or sub-style, if you like).

As for breweries doing tons of iteration...that's their call. Yes, there is a lot of overlap, but there are also differences - some profound, some more nuanced.

Dont dispute its a legitimate style.
and its distinctive enough to be a style. or at least a sub style

Yeah theres good and bad in there,
But dont think any other sytle has seen so many breweries produce such a large amount of almost in distinguishable beers. Nor do i think ive seen the level of hype there is behind beer that have never been produced before, just from the same producer.

harrisoni
beers 25413 º places 68 º 17:02 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
Regardless of your opinions, NE IPAs are changing the minds of many who dismissed the style as "too abrasive." Is that worth anything? If you don't like them, don't drink it. Trillium and Cloudwater will still thrive without your input, trust me.

Yep for once i think i agree with you. I shouldn't drink them. Genuinely. No sarcasm. I just won't drink anything labelled as a NE ipa.

harrisoni
beers 25413 º places 68 º 17:07 Wed 11/1/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by ebone1988

Yep for once i think i agree with you. I shouldn't drink them. Genuinely. No sarcasm. I just won't drink anything labelled as a NE ipa.

Life is too short to drink beers i don't like. So Black ipas are off the list too. As are all modern kettle sours. Modern gose and berliner weisse.

Wow this makes my life so much simpler. And hopefully better.

Now if only i can get pubs to tell me which beers have diacetyl in i think i may be happy.