NE IPAs, the Emperor's New Clothes?

Reads 5677 • Replies 42 • Started Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:45:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26277 º places 998 º 23:12 Wed 11/1/2017

I'm with Ian on this. It's a mostly pointless fashion, a miniture poodle of beers. And not only is the hype huge, there are way too many people who just believe that this is how beers should now be. They've never questioned anything, they've never disagreed - sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1568 º places 1912 º 02:41 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by ebone1988
Regardless of your opinions, NE IPAs are changing the minds of many who dismissed the style as "too abrasive." Is that worth anything? If you don't like them, don't drink it. Trillium and Cloudwater will still thrive without your input, trust me.

Yep for once i think i agree with you. I shouldn't drink them. Genuinely. No sarcasm. I just won't drink anything labelled as a NE ipa.

Life is too short to drink beers i don't like. So Black ipas are off the list too. As are all modern kettle sours. Modern gose and berliner weisse.

Wow this makes my life so much simpler. And hopefully better.

Now if only i can get pubs to tell me which beers have diacetyl in i think i may be happy.

Amen. If you don't like them then don't spend your hard earned cash on them. Celebrate the beers you like instead.
Could see Harvey's Best in the top 50 yet!

I like N*IPAS (let's not leave out the West Coast). If you don't. Don't buy them and then moan about them. Celebrate whatever you like!

evergreen0199
beers 5947 º 03:16 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Im just gonna piss you off ian. Im not a fan, i find them very much like a lot of the Kernel. All of them blend into one. Not bad. But dont float my boat, all ok all hitting the same spots. Decent at what they are but not something that wows me

Im with Leighton in that this style more than most seems to want FRESH FRESH FRESH though ive had some that are way to GREEN

But in the end it seems to have built its self round hype. get it , get it now, ots gonna be good and its gonna be gone tomorrow.

Loved my trip to NY. and other half was good, but 15 of the 20 beers i had there would have been imposible to differentiate from one another 10 minutes later. All decent but too much the same

I completely agree with you regarding Other Half in New York, I was there a year ago and tried a lot of their beers which were all very good but also incredibly similar, my tasting notes were almost the same.

CraftBeerNick
beers 9294 º places 185 º 03:33 Thu 11/2/2017

Agree as well, I crave the bitterness of the more classic west coast IPA. Some of these breweries also give me the perception of 'making hay' while the fashion is there, and as already said, it is hard to distinguish many in this style. Great model to tweak it slightly and release as a brand new beer at £6 a can.

BlackHaddock
beers 15545 º places 1056 º 03:36 Thu 11/2/2017

Some times I am glad I live in rural Shropshire.

<*))))))><

madmitch76
beers 37069 º places 240 º 04:01 Thu 11/2/2017

The real evil out there is White Stouts. For the love of God people, wake up and smell the coffee!

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 04:32 Thu 11/2/2017

The thing with constant reiterations of beers is that no-one is forcing anyone to drink anything. Clearly a lot of people have the mindset that they need to tick everything, frankly I think a brewery would be stupid not to tap into that, particularly if they are well-liked but small. Obviously a strong core range helps if you want to go global (see BrewDog, Beavertown) but I don't think a brewery can be blamed for doing anything it can to get people to drink its beer.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 04:59 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by madmitch76
The real evil out there is White Stouts. For the love of God people, wake up and smell the coffee!

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong ;-)

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 05:02 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by alovelydrop
The thing with constant reiterations of beers is that no-one is forcing anyone to drink anything. Clearly a lot of people have the mindset that they need to tick everything, frankly I think a brewery would be stupid not to tap into that, particularly if they are well-liked but small. Obviously a strong core range helps if you want to go global (see BrewDog, Beavertown) but I don't think a brewery can be blamed for doing anything it can to get people to drink its beer.

A very valid point... yet not that long ago I remember boycotting breweries like Cottage and Archers for doing just that (though I suspect their 'iterations' were actually identical, and their beers were also sh1te). The likes of Untappd have created a new generation of beer tickers even if they don't recognise themselves as such, and if tweaking the hops each time means you sell the same badge w@nker ten cans/halves/bottles instead of one then you're gonna do it

harrisoni
beers 25413 º places 68 º 05:43 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
I'm with Ian on this. It's a mostly pointless fashion, a miniture poodle of beers. And not only is the hype huge, there are way too many people who just believe that this is how beers should now be. They've never questioned anything, they've never disagreed - sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.

And when you see a cane I see a crock
And when you see a crowd I see a flock
it's Sheep we're up against.