Strongest beer in the world

Reads 5255 • Replies 39 • Started Friday, June 5, 2015 4:48:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 18:05 Fri 6/5/2015

Wasn’t there a controversy last year regarding the true ABV of those strong german beers? Was that ever resolved? Did we not care to follow up with that?

I guess these beers are brewed for hype, generally. Seems to be out of style, these days.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4607 º 18:17 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
Wasn’t there a controversy last year regarding the true ABV of those strong german beers? Was that ever resolved? Did we not care to follow up with that?

I guess these beers are brewed for hype, generally. Seems to be out of style, these days.
There’s this one: http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/sink-the-bismarck-has-only-29-abv_141101.htm

but I seem to remember a more recent one about a London brewer and erroneous abvs

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 18:20 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by Travlr

There’s this one: http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/sink-the-bismarck-has-only-29-abv_141101.htm

but I seem to remember a more recent one about a London brewer and erroneous abvs

Two pages of garbage and we finally get to answering the question.

I was thinking the same thing as travlr here. Wasn’t it venom something? I couldn’t find it by searching. I thought they claimed something absurd like 40% or higher.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 18:20 Fri 6/5/2015

I think it was the brewdog beers that were found to be lower than advertised. Not sure it really matters since I think the policy here is to just use the advertised numbers for ABV and IBU.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 18:28 Fri 6/5/2015

There was one last year about Snake Venom.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4607 º 19:01 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by Douberd

There was one last year about Snake Venom.
that was it

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4607 º 19:01 Fri 6/5/2015

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 19:03 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by jtclockwork
There is a list on Ratebeer. Check ratings tab and you should see the strongest beer list.
that list shows you the tastiest strong beers (defined as >7% abv), but not the strongest beers (tasteless or otherwise).
yeah it does. Scroll down.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 19:30 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by t0rin0

I think it was the brewdog beers that were found to be lower than advertised. Not sure it really matters since I think the policy here is to just use the advertised numbers for ABV and IBU.

Bobby, the Brewdog beers are pretty confirmed ABV wise. The problem was Brewmeister, another Scottish brewery, that made Armageddon and Snake Venom. The first one isn’t near the declared ABV and the other one is spiked with hard liquor.

Trust me, BrewDog aren’t stupid enough to try to cheat in this kind of stuff. They care too much about their reputation.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 21:36 Fri 6/5/2015

Originally posted by Gary
this guy asked a Q about the worlds strongest beer ,lets not become pretentious assholes about it.