Twin Cities Beer About Town: Q1-Q2 2017

Reads 4777 • Replies 47 • Started Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:08:16 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 14:08 Tue 1/3/2017

Welcome to the new year, degenerates.

Use this thread to share general info on any events and tappings that may interest other local ratebeerians.

To kick things off:
- Fair State is premiering Hoplager this Thursday. Sounds like a real flavor buffet.
- Cosmos is holding a tap takeover at Stanley’s on the 20th. Anyone tried their gear yet?
- The second beer in Steel Toe’s Brewers Evolution Series, Brown Porter, is now available at the ST taproom.

Dangeruss
beers 35 º 05:24 Wed 1/4/2017

Bad Weather is having a 100 batch Thursday Jan 5. A smash beer using Mighty Axe farm hops

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 16:30 Thu 1/19/2017

Summit, tonight. Tiramisu Oatmeal Stout. I am thinking about stopping in for this one.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 17:11 Thu 1/19/2017

I’ve tried small pours of two Cosmos beers. Both were flawed; typical early jitters. I’ll post my ratings soon.

Sisyphus debuts Isaac the Sax Man at its taproom this weekend. "We used a blend of a wild saccharomyces with our NE IPA yeast to put a little funky twist on the classic Fax Man."

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 17:30 Thu 1/19/2017

Stanleys NE has a couple Cosmos beers on as well as TG Pompeii on tap.

Also, 1/2 priced burgers with any beverage purchase on Mondays and $2 off craft beers on Thursdays

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 00:50 Fri 1/20/2017

tennisjoel
beers 2251 º places 53 º 10:53 Fri 1/20/2017

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 13:50 Fri 1/20/2017

I tried the New Richmond Dark Knight on tap at the brewery in Wisconsin a couple of months ago, and I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as the world-class New Brighton version. I gave the New Brighton version a 4.5 (in my top 10) and, if I recall correctly, the New Richmond version a 3.6 (a rating I haven’t yet entered for reasons I’ll explain). I don’t know if the canned version is deriving from the same batch, however. In general, I think the beer coming en masse out of New Richmond simply doesn’t measure up to the small batch stuff out of the original brewpub. I don’t know if it’s an equipment thing, a recipe scaling issue, brewer talent, or what is driving the discrepancy. I’m concerned that the reputation of the original New Brighton Dark Knight is about to take a big hit because of the subpar stuff that will be distributed out of New Richmond. Just my 2 cents (you’ll have to pay around $12.97 more than that per 16-ounce can, Joel, according to a report from the other site).

Background for those who don’t know what I’m talking about: Barley John’s long has operated a brewpub in New Brighton, Minnesota ("Barley John’s Brew Pub"). A couple of years ago, "they" opened a production brewery and taproom in New Richmond, Wisconsin ("Barley John’s Brewing Company"). The ownership technically is different; I believe the husband owns the brewery and the wife owns the brewpub, but I may have that reversed. The two sites share some (but not all) recipes, although I know the production brewery has made some tweaks to at least some of the recipes that originated at the brewpub; I don’t know if the Dark Knight is one of the tweaked recipes. Any beer you see in cans or on tap anywhere other than the New Brighton Brew Pub necessarily was brewed by the New Richmond production brewery (because under Minnesota law brewpubs can’t distribute). I believe some taps at the original brewpub sometimes have beer brewed in New Richmond, but most of the taps at the brewpub feature beer brewed in New Brighton. It’s very confusing (and it doesn’t help that both cities have "New" in their names), but I do think the differences are important enough that the RateBeer entries shouldn’t be conflated, as some of them are currently. The admins probably should settle this issue now before New Richmond Dark Knight cans start getting traded all over the country.

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 16:23 Fri 1/20/2017

Originally posted by islay
I tried the New Richmond Dark Knight on tap at the brewery in Wisconsin a couple of months ago, and I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as the world-class New Brighton version. I gave the New Brighton version a 4.5 (in my top 10) and, if I recall correctly, the New Richmond version a 3.6 (a rating I haven’t yet entered for reasons I’ll explain). I don’t know if the canned version is deriving from the same batch, however. In general, I think the beer coming en masse out of New Richmond simply doesn’t measure up to the small batch stuff out of the original brewpub. I don’t know if it’s an equipment thing, a recipe scaling issue, brewer talent, or what is driving the discrepancy. I’m concerned that the reputation of the original New Brighton Dark Knight is about to take a big hit because of the subpar stuff that will be distributed out of New Richmond. Just my 2 cents (you’ll have to pay around $12.97 more than that per 16-ounce can, Joel, according to a report from the other site).

Background for those who don’t know what I’m talking about: Barley John’s long has operated a brewpub in New Brighton, Minnesota ("Barley John’s Brew Pub"). A couple of years ago, "they" opened a production brewery and taproom in New Richmond, Wisconsin ("Barley John’s Brewing Company"). The ownership technically is different; I believe the husband owns the brewery and the wife owns the brewpub, but I may have that reversed. The two sites share some (but not all) recipes, although I know the production brewery has made some tweaks to at least some of the recipes that originated at the brewpub; I don’t know if the Dark Knight is one of the tweaked recipes. Any beer you see in cans or on tap anywhere other than the New Brighton Brew Pub necessarily was brewed by the New Richmond production brewery (because under Minnesota law brewpubs can’t distribute). I believe some taps at the original brewpub sometimes have beer brewed in New Richmond, but most of the taps at the brewpub feature beer brewed in New Brighton. It’s very confusing (and it doesn’t help that both cities have "New" in their names), but I do think the differences are important enough that the RateBeer entries shouldn’t be conflated, as some of them are currently. The admins probably should settle this issue now before New Richmond Dark Knight cans start getting traded all over the country.

Unless there has been a recipe change, I very much doubt that you will see a split. I only posted the article because of how dreadful it is, but I guess my sarcasm did not translate well! Top five beer...when it isn’t even in the top 50. Debuted in July...but the original beer he linked to has been around for well over a decade. I’m not sure if the writer was trying to mislead people or he was just doing some really sloppy journalism.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 17:45 Fri 1/20/2017

I share your lack of enthusiasm for Fagerberg’s beer writing. Barley John’s (New Brighton) The Dark Knight (along with its "... Returns" sibling) is the 5th highest rated imperial porter on this site, which I’m betting is where Fagerberg got the "top 5." I also bet it ranks in the top 5 among beers brewed in the state of Minnesota (I can’t figure out how to confirm that on the mobile site), but of course the New Richmond version isn’t brewed in the state of Minnesota. July 2016 sounds like a plausible debut month for Barley John’s (New Richmond, WI) Dark Knight, but then again that’s not really the beer that ranks so highly here. It’s definitely sloppy and inaccurate reporting.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s a different recipe from the New Brighton version, as I know that the New Richmond location has tweaked some of the brewpub’s recipes, but I think the fact that the two brewing sites are different companies alone justifies the split entries (much as Surly, Three Floyds, and Real Ale each received its own entry for the Blakkr brewed at each site, just one of many such examples). I think "Barley John’s / Barley John’s Dark Knight (Barley John’s Brewing Company (New Richmond, Wisconsin) Version)" has a nice ring to it. In all seriousness (since, as I demonstrated, people often can’t pick up on sarcasm in writing), I’d list all of the brewpub beers as "Barley John’s (New Brighton, MN)..." and all of the production brewery’s beers as "Barley John’s (New Richmond, WI)..." (or something similar) and put an explanation at the top of both of the brewery pages. I think most reviews would end up in the right spot.

By the way, Joel, I’m now seeing prices as low as $9.99 per can posted on the other site.

bnielsen13
beers 265 º places 1 º 18:38 Fri 1/20/2017

Haven’t had the "new" canned version Dark Knight yet, but had the "new" kegged version at Uptown Tavern last week and I was very underwhelmed. I know palates change over the years, but not that much.