Thread for reporting Places issues

Reads 24795 • Replies 161 • Started Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:14:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:02 Sat 9/16/2017

Originally posted by Bryne
A thread for reporting Places issues, one for the whole world? Djeezes! Let at least local admins do the job. Remember, not all RateBeer members writes English! I don't want to loose them. And, for me to it's a lot more easier to send in correction in my mother language. Det er ikkje tvil om at eg bruker mindre tid om eg kan skrive på norsk. You figure? Another issue, what will be next? Not allowed to make a new place entry?? If so happens, goodbye RateBeer. Don't get me wrong, I love RateBeer and the RateBeer community, but I hate when things are getting more difficult without a good reason for doing so.

1. As I've written TWICE already on this same thread, if you have a local option, use it. This is for people without local admins to turn to. Ya know, an option where there were no options before I was seemingly idiotic enough to offer one to help both the site and its users.
2. I'm one of the admins who fought for the right to have ratings, descriptions etc. in languages which aren't English way back when it was an option. So there is no need to remind me.
3. Where are you getting all these conspiracy theories from? That will never happen.
4. Let me remind you that I'm just another user of the site - never got a dime from it or asked for it and yet spent thousands on thousands of working hours on the site in my free time. I'm not the owner, I'm not a paid employee, I'm not a coder. Nobody is apart from Joe and ZX people who don't show up here anyway. Please consider that the next time you persist in a tirade that I cannot help you with.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:12 Sat 9/16/2017

Originally posted by Camons
Hi Marko

Could you please add this brewery (brewpub) and place :
Ølluminati Brewbar
St. Sankt Peder Stræde 8
8800 Viborg
Denmark
Phone 24621120
Hours:
Closed Mon-Wednesday, Thursday 14:00-00:00, Friday 14:00-02:00, Saturday 12:00-02:00, Sunday 12:00-22:00
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ølluminati-ApS/640685829462512

Have fun with the "Ø" and "Æ" :)

Appreciate your effort here, but i really hope this is not a staying change, its stupid and annoys the hell out me.

Right now, we simply can't add anything with characters outside the basic Western charset. It's broken and no, I don't know when they will fix that. It's annoying as fuck and pisses me off to no end. The best I can do is the best you can do - add it without them and then, when that get fixed, remind me or the local admins to add those characters.

I hope it gets fixed soon too as I'm frankly tired of thankless work fixing and trying to fix or alleviate the effects of fuckups by people who are actually getting paid for their work, while getting mindless flak I deserve in no way possible from people who should know better.

Of course it's a temporary issue, and we all suffer due to the ever expanding nature of the site which is likely the reason why it feels to be a programmer's sandbox at times.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:16 Sat 9/16/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
Originally posted by Marko
Joe is on it. Will notify about the Alesmith problem once I'm done with Hong Kong (should be soon 'nuff).

Looking forward to there only being three 'cities' in Hong Kong :D there's some amazing growth in craft beer there, too, so I think this will help the budding scene!

Decided against 3 "cities" as it's way to vague a distinction in real life. In the end divided into districts actual separate cities got their separate entries.

This is a definite downgrade, then, and shows a very limited understanding of the geography of Hong Kong. Hong Kongers do not think in terms of the eighteen districts (few are aware that they actually exist and I've never once heard a local say they're heading down to having a drink in Yau Tsim Mong); they think in terms of the three regions and generally refer to the closest MTR station to differentiate between neighbourhoods. The fact that you refer to Sai Kung or Stanley as cities (they are not) says a lot, as Hong Kong is a single city with a centralised administrative structure divided into three regions. I merely mentioned the districts to be transparent about the other possibility, but was by no means suggesting that it would actually be a good idea to drill down to that level.

The way it is organised now is *way* more confusing than before.

There is even a wikipedia article saying called "List of towns in Hong Kong" - with a list of towns in Hong Kong - which includes those two - so I would reckon that those entities are considered to be towns, so you can excuse any potential mistakes or "mistakes" regarding that aspect.

This was a temporary measure in any case, to see how it feels and works (that's why I've left HK Island, Kowloon and New Territories), which I didn't visually like that much. Just be aware, actual administrative borders and distinctions trump local feeling and references, always. That said, I see your point and will do further editing.

Camons
beers 20795 º places 1057 º 06:22 Sat 9/16/2017

The best I can do is the best you can do - add it without them and then, when that get fixed, remind me or the local admins to add those characters.

I cant add it, with or without "Ø and Æ". Everytime i try ill just get the robot.
I have contacted a local admin, hopefully he can help.

Thanks for your help, again its appreciated.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:29 Sat 9/16/2017

No problem. :)

It's the FB link that kills it even when you remove the signs from the name and the street. Lemme see if editing works.
https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/goto/32933/

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:33 Sat 9/16/2017

Ooooh yeah, editing works. So yay, we have a stupid workaround that shouldn't work but does. Add it without the characters and notify your local admin.

And since it apparently bears repeating for every single temporary fuckup they make - this is not a permanent option, this is no permanent loss of functionality. It will be fixed. It's a shitty temporary way to do things right.

Edit: Place entry https://www.ratebeer.com/p/olluminati-brewbar-viborg/73824/

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 08:49 Sat 9/16/2017

Joe is on it. Will notify about the Alesmith problem once I'm done with Hong Kong (should be soon 'nuff).

Looking forward to there only being three 'cities' in Hong Kong :D there's some amazing growth in craft beer there, too, so I think this will help the budding scene!

Decided against 3 "cities" as it's way to vague a distinction in real life. In the end divided into districts actual separate cities got their separate entries.

This is a definite downgrade, then, and shows a very limited understanding of the geography of Hong Kong. Hong Kongers do not think in terms of the eighteen districts (few are aware that they actually exist and I've never once heard a local say they're heading down to having a drink in Yau Tsim Mong); they think in terms of the three regions and generally refer to the closest MTR station to differentiate between neighbourhoods. The fact that you refer to Sai Kung or Stanley as cities (they are not) says a lot, as Hong Kong is a single city with a centralised administrative structure divided into three regions. I merely mentioned the districts to be transparent about the other possibility, but was by no means suggesting that it would actually be a good idea to drill down to that level.

There is even a wikipedia article saying called "List of towns in Hong Kong" - with a list of towns in Hong Kong - which includes those two - so I would reckon that those entities are considered to be towns, so you can excuse any potential mistakes or "mistakes" regarding that aspect.

This was a temporary measure in any case, to see how it feels and works (that's why I've left HK Island, Kowloon and New Territories), which I didn't visually like that much. Just be aware, actual administrative borders and distinctions trump local feeling and references, always. That said, I see your point and will do further editing.

From a local perspective, there is only a need for the three regions; there is only one city in the HKSAR territory, and that is Hong Kong. I've lived there, wrote a master's thesis on the city's urban planning law, have travelled there frequently, am the #4 rater for the territory, and spoke to a bunch of locals at shops and bars about RateBeer and why there still aren't a lot of users there yet (the confusing list of places was a common theme and why locals tend to use Foursquare or Yelp, which I honestly did as well this June). I know it might not make a lot of sense to a non-local, but I'm just trying to offer that perspective for you to make a decision that makes it easier for locals and tourists to get the most out of Hong Kong.

It's also worth pointing out that the regions (not the districts) are where residents and business owners get most of their administrative work done in Hong Kong.

Bryne
places 1617 º 10:16 Sat 9/16/2017

Marko, you're doing a great job. I know. The problem is clear and understandable communication about whats going on. Why is this happening and how big problems are we talking? Your not to blame and I don't expect you to have an answer. Better information from Joet and the devs??

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 10:42 Sat 9/16/2017

From a local perspective, there is only a need for the three regions; there is only one city in the HKSAR territory, and that is Hong Kong. I've lived there, wrote a master's thesis on the city's urban planning law, have travelled there frequently, am the #4 rater for the territory, and spoke to a bunch of locals at shops and bars about RateBeer and why there still aren't a lot of users there yet (the confusing list of places was a common theme and why locals tend to use Foursquare or Yelp, which I honestly did as well this June). I know it might not make a lot of sense to a non-local, but I'm just trying to offer that perspective for you to make a decision that makes it easier for locals and tourists to get the most out of Hong Kong.

It's also worth pointing out that the regions (not the districts) are where residents and business owners get most of their administrative work done in Hong Kong.

And your perspective is much appreciated. :)

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 11:58 Sat 9/16/2017

Cheers; just looking out for Hong Kongers :)

I found another duplicate in Brussels:
- https://www.ratebeer.com/p/le-barboteur--bierotheque/57379/
- https://www.ratebeer.com/p/le-barboteur/67268/

The first one has more reviews and up-to-date information.