Ticks = ratings ???

Reads 7954 • Replies 74 • Started Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:10:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 13:33 Sun 10/29/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by BVery
Our differentiating factor now is stats / maps. If Untappd adds that, we're done.

That and the Forums.

Ratebeer no longer has any sustainable competitive advantage against its peers. If untappd feels the features you mention will reinforce its position and help the app grow, they'll add them.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 13:41 Sun 10/29/2017

Originally posted by jackl
Our differentiating factor now is stats / maps. If Untappd adds that, we're done.

That and the Forums.

Ratebeer no longer has any sustainable competitive advantage against its peers. If untappd feels the features you mention will reinforce its position and help the app grow, they'll add them.

Yup. So RB just gives up?

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 13:43 Sun 10/29/2017

That and the Forums.

I seriously doubt that UT wants to go there.

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 13:52 Sun 10/29/2017

That and the Forums.

Absolutely not. We make ticks a valid way of rating. We fix the goddamn app. And then we are giving people what they want, plus we would have the differentiation of stats / maps / forums that others would have to create.

This whole "use our site the way WE want you to use it, not the way YOU want to use it" nonsense has to stop. That's how companies go the fuck outta business.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 13:57 Sun 10/29/2017

Absolutely not. We make ticks a valid way of rating. We fix the goddamn app. And then we are giving people what they want, plus we would have the differentiation of stats / maps / forums that others would have to create.

This whole "use our site the way WE want you to use it, not the way YOU want to use it" nonsense has to stop. That's how companies go the fuck outta business.

I think the apps come a fair way, i think it was out way to early, but the developers said it gave them lots of good insight. I think they want to get it right for us and for the users we want to attract.

Its still a fair way to go, Im hopefull that offline is coming in the mid future, that barcode and nearby places are on the radar.

Im certainly never gonna shut up about how much erics app wont be replaced as my rating method of choice till new app can do offline. Im still not totally convinced by the elastic search but when i get offline im prepard to give it a serious go and see how i get on

RW80
beers 3114 º places 33 º 16:52 Sun 10/29/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
Ticks on beers that are now aliased are bugged and we can't delete them. I have the same problem as madmitch, it's annoying as it's now the only tick I have and I want it gone.

Another issue is these tick ratings do mess with some of the user statistic parts for that reason I removed any new tick, today after I found it out. Except for aliasis, which will require another upgrade it seems.
Simpley said I handle by backlog 100% the oldschool way, but that can mess greatly incase of trading.

Now tanother odd feature is you can tick unrateable stuff, which then ends up in you statistic. So that 10% beer /90 lemonade radler, that you gave for administration purpose a 5 (Because some people use the start system as administration system) suddenly becomes your top scorring beer.

Lowenbrau
beers 5867 º places 432 º 19:18 Sun 10/29/2017

100% agree with this. Our differentiating factor used to be the database. It isn't anymore, because we aren't making a home for people that don't want to write text in their reviews, and accordingly we are losing the critical mass to keep the database current and leading edge. As an example, I recently attended a festival and had 40-50 beers (maybe more, didn't count them exactly) that weren't in our database. I added them, and guess where I went for the info? Untappd. They were all in there, and all had dozens to hundreds of check ins. I confirmed what I could all the way back to brewery websites, found no errors with the Untappd entries, and several weren't even on the brewery websites. Untappd is likely the best source of truth now, and that's sad. It used to be us, but we aren't adapting.

Same here. Untappd is most of the times my main source when looking for beers not added in RB (of course after doing some research).

Viper666.Qc
beers 10517 º places 11 º 21:47 Sun 10/29/2017

I'm 100% for the inclusion of ticks as a valid way of rating. I used to review all my beers before but I just don't have the time anymore so I started ticking about 2 years ago but it was frustrating because they were not in my stats and they weren't listed when I was making searches in the brewer's listings. I could have used Untappd but I prefer Ratebeer because the database verification is just better along with the advanced personal stats.
By allowing official ticks, you can attract a lot of users that preferred Untappd for its simplicity.
I would go even further with this: RATINGS = REVIEWS TICKS (3 separate folders to navigate in a user personal stats)

OminouSC2
beers 4220 º 15:14 Mon 10/30/2017

Is the ticks a part of the weighted avg. score? If no, then it shouldn't count as a rating imo.

BeardedAvenger
beers 7338 º places 596 º 16:31 Mon 10/30/2017

Seems to have been some sort of update. My Old Ticks still contribute to the number of styles but if I then click on a style I can only see the beers I've rated. Ticks are not being counted towards Countries.