2013 College Football Thread

Reads 31156 • Replies 476 • Started Sunday, December 1, 2013 6:40:39 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:47 Sun 12/1/2013

Originally posted by TheAlum
I have a heard time seeing AZ State beat Stanford on a neutral field.. BUT they get the homefield advantage in the Championship game because they got to play in the weaker division.. So that game really could be a toss up.

Ohio State’s offense can score a lot of points and kinda do what they want to whomever.. but their Defense is pretty mediocre. It’ll be interesting to see what running into Mich State (a fantastic Defense, Ok Offense) does..

Strangely enough, interested in the MAC Championship game as well. Would be really neat to see NIU shit the bed..

Stanford have been playing worse (or at least not any better) each week while ASU has been getting better and better. Defensively, I think Stanford is still really, really solid, but Hogan has played like garbage, particularly if you take out the game against Cal, because Cal is just atrocious (only held teams to less than 40 three times, and no games under 30). Stanford needs to repeat the Oregon game plan: turn around and hand the ball to Gaffney 40 times.

Michigan State stats-wise, one of the best defenses around. But I don’t know that it’s that tough to look like a juggernaut when you’re playing Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, etc. But if they play their game (run the ball, eat clock, and make Ohio State slow down), I think they can win the game.

NIU shouldn’t have any problems in the MAC title game, but I guess we’ve seen this game before when Houston lost to Southern Miss by 2 scores a couple years ago in the Conference USA title game, or even Fresno State losing just this weekend to San Jose State (in a game where they scored damn near 120 combined points!).

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:56 Sun 12/1/2013

Looks like OSU beats MSU and they are in.

Not close enough.. if beating Bama didnt get them over the hump.. cant see beating #5 while OSU beats #10 doing it..

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:57 Sun 12/1/2013

Massey has B1G as the 3rd best Conf this year, Andrew, via averaging a whole bunch of rankings.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 18:16 Sun 12/1/2013

Originally posted by CheesedMan
Originally posted by hopscotch
Has anyone called Monte’s cell phone? Checked the obituaries?

Monte was drinking his sorrows away with some Pappy 20 year at his uncle’s house.

This is true. As I said on FB, to win a BCS championship you need a lot of luck, and if I wasn’t upset at luck in 2009 when we blocked a kick @ Tennessee, or in 2011 when Okie State screwed up or last year when we backed in at the last minute I can’t be too upset. Auburn was lucky and the special teams that were a strength all year fell apart. It happens, and it’s still good to be a Bama fan today. Rooting for Mizzou and hoping Mich. State takes out the Suckeyes.

That being said Auburn played their hearts out and kept it close to pull off the win at the end just as Coach Malzahn said he needed to do. Impressive....a million little things could have gone differently and Bama would have walked out with the win but things don’t always work the way they should.

Also, I have NO problem with Saban trotting out our other kicker to try a 62 yd field goal at the end. Adam was the #1 kicker recruit and although he only had tried 2 this year he booms them in practice. I do wish we would have gone for the fg instead of the 4th and 2 call but I’m not the coach and something was clearly wrong with Cade Foster who has been money all year.

As for the bowl, I don’t even know how it would be possible but I’m PRAYING for a chance to play OU because of all my idiot Oklahoma friends gloating today. We would ass rape Bob Stoops and maybe make him shut up about how the Big 12 is just as good as the SEC

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 18:17 Sun 12/1/2013

RJ Bell (@RJinVegas) tweeted at 8:06 PM on Sun, Dec 01, 2013:
BCS haters and SEC lovers: Vegas consensus opinion is Ohio State would be favored by 2.5 over Auburn
( https://twitter.com/RJinVegas/status/407329952850124800)

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 18:21 Sun 12/1/2013

They announce the ratings yet?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 18:22 Sun 12/1/2013

Nevermind. Yes, they did.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 18:39 Sun 12/1/2013

Apologies for my drunken rambling posts, I lost my mind after that game. That was one of the greatest sporting events ever.

I thought we would be closer to osu in the BCS standings, but fear we can’t make up that margin. IF we were to take out #1 and #5 in back to back weeks, we should play over osu. The championship has gone through the sec for 7 years. Osu needs to play a better schedule and their conference stinks. Michigans offense has been trash and they walked all over them. We would put over 400 yds rushing on the buck nuts.

Great finish to the pick em this year.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 18:44 Sun 12/1/2013

Originally posted by TheAlum
Now, hindsight shows Auburn will likely only have 1 win over currently ranked teams (and that’s the clincher.. it doesn’t matter what a team was ranked when you played them) heading into the SEC Championship game.. but a more impressive slate won, I think.

They lost to LSU, sure.. but they also beat Texas A&M (A pretty good team - not great, and certainly flawed) and get a chance at apparently a Top 5 Mizzou.

Ole Miss and Georgia proved to be pretenders..

UGA and ATM are both in top 25 of BCS.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 18:56 Sun 12/1/2013

Its all kinda pointless to argue now.

Based on BCS tonight, I cant see Auburn passing Ohio State if both win.

I dont necessarily agree with that (ive posted plenty in this thread to show that, but im not afraid to post both sides of the story)... but it looks almost certain