RBSG Dinner Menu

Reads 10253 • Replies 82 • Started Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:08:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

nickd717
beers 10342 º places 299 º 14:27 Thu 7/2/2009

Man I wish I wasn’t in Belgium for this. Just kidding...but it does sound awesome!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:52 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by hmmiexist
Originally posted by aspidites
He is also the same guy that said Chez Panisse is crappy food so his opinion is not remotely valid when it comes to this topic.

I didn’t say crappy food, just overrated. Which is how I felt when I went there years ago.

I think this might be a common opinion now just as I think among many, Westvleteren 12 is no longer the bee’s knees. (At least it shouldn’t be given today’s options.)

That all said Westvleteren 12 and Chez Panisse are iconic representations of excellence. Chez Panisse is probably more monumental in that Alice Waters started a food revolution with the restaurant that arguably shared more DNA (care, excellence, natural, hand crafted, healthful, innovative, exhuberant) with the craft beer movement than Carter’s legalization of homebrewing (easy, inexpensive, great tasting, grass roots, craftsmanship). It’s no surprise that the thriving American brewpub culture started in the same town.

That said, Chez Panisse still gets fantastic ratings on Chow, Yelp, TripAdvisor and pretty much everywhere else. It also graduates a number of the top chefs around and is still is very in touch with the area’s best locally grown food - so it’s not like they’re missing any non-magical ingredients.

Yes, this is the Bay Area so the best food (and service) is usually had at relatively inexpensive places with young hot chefs out to make a name for themselves at places that are cutting tight margins. They work harder, are more daring and aim to kick butt. These places tend to come and go, often having the hottest part of their life cycle in the few year range.

Iconic places like Greens or Chez Panisse are not going to fit in with those guys.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:13 Thu 7/2/2009

Glad to throw all that out there...

How and why it took so long to bring RBSG to the Bay Area is beyond believable!

New Albion, America’s first craft brewery was here in Sonoma. Triple Rock and SF Brewing Co date back to 1985. Sierra Nevada and Anchor were making hop-forward beers for smaller markets even before that before many RateBeerians were born.

It feels great to have RBSG for the first time back in craft brewing’s cradle!

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 15:27 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by joet
Yes, this is the Bay Area so the best food (and service) is usually had at relatively inexpensive places with young hot chefs out to make a name for themselves at places that are cutting tight margins. They work harder, are more daring and aim to kick butt. These places tend to come and go, often having the hottest part of their life cycle in the few year range.

Iconic places like Greens or Chez Panisse are not going to fit in with those guys.

Can you clue me in on some of those "other guys" that would be worth hitting for lunch on Friday and/or Sunday?

I’d considered going to Alembic on one of the occasions, for some actual beer-related tasty foods, but now I’m wondering if I should stray much farther off the main itinerary to take in some of the glory of the SF dining scene. Sadly, I won’t be doing any dinners out (Beer Dinner Friday, Grand Tasting Saturday, leaving town Sunday), but a good lunch or two should still be viable.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 15:47 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by cquiroga
Can you clue me in on some of those "other guys" that would be worth hitting for lunch on Friday and/or Sunday?

I haven’t been there myself, but high on my list of places I’d like to go out that way...

Incanto

aspidites
beers 1271 º places 1 º 15:48 Thu 7/2/2009

I’d considered going to Alembic on one of the occasions, for some actual beer-related tasty foods, but now I’m wondering if I should stray much farther off the main itinerary to take in some of the glory of the SF dining scene. Sadly, I won’t be doing any dinners out (Beer Dinner Friday, Grand Tasting Saturday, leaving town Sunday), but a good lunch or two should still be viable.

I will post a list for you and others in a few hours.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:51 Thu 7/2/2009

You might want to hit Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg Saturday. It’s right around the corner from Bear Republic.

http://www.charliepalmer.com/Properties/DryCreekKitchen/

or Cyrus
http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/

Further out but worth a little effort is the El Do in Sonoma. Girl and the Fig is very nice too on Sonoma Square.

http://www.eldoradosonoma.com/edh_eat.html

French Laundry is a foodie mecca of sorts (doubtful you can get in - was filling up months in advance)
http://www.frenchlaundry.com/

MrDick can probably fill you in on some local SF joints.

DaSilky1
beers 2607 º places 66 º 15:53 Thu 7/2/2009

A good recomendation for balls out we speak no english seshuan in china town would also be appreciated as well.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 16:01 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by j12601

I haven’t been there myself, but high on my list of places I’d like to go out that way...
Incanto

Sounds perfect. And the menu looks great. One problem-- DINNER ONLY.

I wish I were in town Saturday night or Sunday night for dinner.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 16:16 Thu 7/2/2009

BOCA in novato is some damn fine cuisine, the only place in town at that. its an argentinian steak house with menus of both grass and grain fed cuts and overall excellent food. its also 1/4 mile off the 101 in novato, which is roughly half way between the city and santa rosa. great place if you don’t wanna wait to get back to the city.

MYTHAI in san rafael is a superb organic thai restaurant that is the most authentic and best thai i have ever had. the reason most of the stuff is not listed as organic is because it has fish sauce, which cannot be organic, but virtually all other ingredients they use are organic.