RBSG Dinner Menu

Reads 10246 • Replies 82 • Started Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:08:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hmmiexist
16:16 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by DaSilky1
A good recomendation for balls out we speak no english seshuan in china town would also be appreciated as well.

On that note, is there anywhere I can find cheap dumplings like the 4 for a dollar places in NYC?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 16:25 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by joet
You might want to hit Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg Saturday. It’s right around the corner from Bear Republic.

http://www.charliepalmer.com/Properties/DryCreekKitchen/

or Cyrus
http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/

Further out but worth a little effort is the El Do in Sonoma. Girl and the Fig is very nice too on Sonoma Square.

http://www.eldoradosonoma.com/edh_eat.html

French Laundry is a foodie mecca of sorts (doubtful you can get in - was filling up months in advance)
http://www.frenchlaundry.com/

MrDick can probably fill you in on some local SF joints.

I’d try Dry Creek Kitchen if I knew how to incorporate that into the bus-riding schedule. But since the schedule has not been announced, I don’t see it happening.

Cyprus sounds great, but DINNER ONLY. Also wouldn’t necessarily need anything fine dining (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Just great food.

El Dorado Kitchen sounds great. In fact, that whole hotel looks quaint and delightful. But once again, I’m not sure if I can get there on this particular venture.

French Laundry has long been on my list. And I had a reservation a few years ago and then flaked out last-minute when we cancelled our weekend San Fran trip. Almost had to pay a hefty fee, if I recall. But it’s still on my list.

jhenry04
16:27 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by hmmiexist
A good recomendation for balls out we speak no english seshuan in china town would also be appreciated as well.

On that note, is there anywhere I can find cheap dumplings like the 4 for a dollar places in NYC?

Cheap take-out dim sum can be found on Stockton St. over a stretch of 4 or 5 blocks. It’ll only take 15 minutes to walk the whole street...I would do that and get a piece of dim sum or two at each place you see. It’s a street or two away from the main (touristy) part of Chinatowm on Grant St.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:34 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by hmmiexist

You can probably easily find cheap in China Town. If you want clean and good, Oakland’s China Town (Shan Dong, Golden Lotus) (with some really good Vietnamese, Le Cheval) is worth a stop if you’re going down to the Trappist.

Next to the Trappist is a very interesting and deliciously kickass Tamarindo which is a very different take on Mexican.
http://www.tamarindoantojeria.com/

Frenchish Soizic Restaurant‎, very good as well, is also nearby.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:39 Thu 7/2/2009

Can I swap my plate of sturgeon for a bottle of J&J Roos? Actually, I’ve never had sturgeon before so it’ll be a learning experience. But really, who’s bring the J&J to the grand tasting?

bb
beers 16902 º places 16 º 16:49 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by j12601

Incanto

Sounds perfect. And the menu looks great. One problem-- DINNER ONLY.

I wish I were in town Saturday night or Sunday night for dinner.

At the Ferry Building you can hit up Boccalone more a small food store). Same guy, but this is where he sells the Salumi. Follow them on twitter and they’ll have some street food sandwiches for sale on fridays on some street corner. You can also get more street food (SexySoupGirl, CremeBruleeMan, good bacon-wrapped hotdogs if that’s what you’re wanting - or just hit up Memphis Minnie’s across from Toronado).

What Joe had orginally stated (awesome/low markup/bust your ass mentality) don’t fit well with his later posts (Cyrus/French Laundry) which fall more to polished/high-end/high markup places (though fantastic). Most of the places I think of that fit my thought of what Joe meant at first aren’t in SF (a lot in Oakland/Berkely), but that’s probably because I eat out more for dinner on that side of the Bay.

Canteen, Pres a Vie, Foreign Cinema, tapas at Boccadillos, Town Hall are all more on the polished side (maybe not Boccadillos)- but not as high end as Cyrus and French Laundry. I guess if we’re making the drive into SF, we’re going to a place like Aqua, Masa’s, Farallon, Campton Place.

Camino, Flora, Fonda, Sea Salt... those are places I think fits Joe’s original idea better, but they are all in the East Bay.

One place to look to see if anything fits what you want is:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/top100/

Not everything is high-end in the list..

jhenry04
16:59 Thu 7/2/2009

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 17:04 Thu 7/2/2009

What’s for breakfast Friday and Saturday?
Anything quick and decent in the hotel or within a block or so?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:09 Thu 7/2/2009

Originally posted by bb
Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by j12601

Incanto

Sounds perfect. And the menu looks great. One problem-- DINNER ONLY.

I wish I were in town Saturday night or Sunday night for dinner.

At the Ferry Building you can hit up Boccalone more a small food store). Same guy, but this is where he sells the Salumi. Follow them on twitter and they’ll have some street food sandwiches for sale on fridays on some street corner. You can also get more street food (SexySoupGirl, CremeBruleeMan, good bacon-wrapped hotdogs if that’s what you’re wanting - or just hit up Memphis Minnie’s across from Toronado).

What Joe had orginally stated (awesome/low markup/bust your ass mentality) don’t fit well with his later posts (Cyrus/French Laundry) which fall more to polished/high-end/high markup places (though fantastic). Most of the places I think of that fit my thought of what Joe meant at first aren’t in SF (a lot in Oakland/Berkely), but that’s probably because I eat out more for dinner on that side of the Bay.

Canteen, Pres a Vie, Foreign Cinema, tapas at Boccadillos, Town Hall are all more on the polished side (maybe not Boccadillos)- but not as high end as Cyrus and French Laundry. I guess if we’re making the drive into SF, we’re going to a place like Aqua, Masa’s, Farallon, Campton Place.

Camino, Flora, Fonda, Sea Salt... those are places I think fits Joe’s original idea better, but they are all in the East Bay.

One place to look to see if anything fits what you want is:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/top100/

Not everything is high-end in the list..

Thanks! This is definitely more valuable.

The stuff up here in wine country tends to be more polished. And a lot is happening in the East Bay. Temescal (Oakland) is being touted as the real gourmet ghetto now.

I worked out an (aggressive) itinerary for Saturday that just gets us back to San Leandro a few minutes after 8. I needs Mike’s input/blessing.

Is leaving the city at 10:00am too aggressive? Is one hour forty five minutes at Russian River too brief?

I need to know if the bus has temperature-controlled storage for all the beer for the tasting or if we are just going to need the bus to make a separate trip over or make some other provision for transport.

Eyedrinkale
beers 3213 º places 130 º 17:14 Thu 7/2/2009

It looks like I’m going to be there. The connections the organizers have and the beers that will be flowing is way too good to pass up. Baker (wavers1) has agreed to receive the box I’m sending and Mike (aspodites) hooked me up with the badass hotel rate, so it’s easy money. If anyone has any requests for a specific NY beer, let me know tonight, as I’m shipping Friday morning.