Thread for reporting Places issues

Reads 24796 • Replies 161 • Started Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:14:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 08:14 Tue 9/12/2017

Hey people!

As someone who's traveled around a fair amount I've always felt that Places were one of the most useful and important but also one of the most neglected parts of the site - so I've spent an enormous amount of time on the Sisyphean labors that are fixing that database - including, at a point in time, having the Prague database maximally correct and completely uniform... Which is very much likely not the case anymore as I doubt that people have followed the set norm while adding places, places have shut down, more have sprung up etc etc. You see what I'm getting at. Aaaanywaaaay....

Since we, people who admin around on free time simply don't have the time to monitor everything all the time and I full well know how irritating it is to go somewhere and it turns out that the info is way out of date (looking at you, places without up to date sites or facebook pages), let's help each other.

If you see anything wrong, in need of correction etc - please report it here and me or, I guess, whichever admin has the time and they will fix that. Wrong coordinates and wrong working hours are perhaps key, but everything!

PS. Please do rate Places you visit, and please never EVER just leave blank Place ratings < - those are the most useless, stupid, pointless thing on this site. By far the greatest value of Places is in written feedback - travelers helping each other out. :)

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 08:35 Tue 9/12/2017

This is really inefficient. Do you really want me to send you the 30 to 40 changes that need to be made in Columbus and Nashville (do we really need to waste admins time on updating a facebook link) or can we allow premium people the ability to make changes to places, like we used to be able to do. About a 1/3 of the time when I leave feedback it does not get done correctly. I am not putting down the admins; to be fair I may have not been clear what needed to happen. I want people to be able to use places on this site to plan trips and currently for most areas the information is not up to date. Admins feel free to nuke if I have over stepped my bounds.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 08:37 Tue 9/12/2017

Originally posted by weihenweizen
This is really inefficient. Do you really want me to send you the 30 to 40 changes that need to be made in Columbus and Nashville (do we really need to waste admins time on updating a facebook link) or can we allow premium people the ability to make changes to places, like we used to be able to do. About a 1/3 of the time when I leave feedback it does not get done correctly. I am not putting down the admins; to be fair I may have not been clear what needed to happen. I want people to be able to use places on this site to plan trips and currently for most areas the information is not up to date. Admins feel free to nuke if I have over stepped my bounds.

This is the way to do it.

Jow
beers 7350 º places 487 º 09:22 Tue 9/12/2017

Not really a "place" issue but my local page says I checked into a place that I last visited in summer of 2016

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 09:50 Tue 9/12/2017

Originally posted by weihenweizen

Of course that is the way to go, it's beyond silly to think that me or anybody else isn't aware of that. I just don't see that being a high priority fix for the devs, with all the stuff going on, so I'm giving you the best possible alternative given the possibilities.

What I'm giving here is a possibility to point out the more important fixes (as I said, working hours, if something's closed, map coordinates being wrong) immediately and, for us, easier to find and react to than we now otherwise can.

Also, this would remain a thread where non-premies could do that in the future, even after that's fixed - e fficient or not (certainly more than the current bug report system for places, believe you me).

Also, since nobody but Joe and the devs can do jack shit about them please relay tech issues (non content-related) to them please. :)

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 10:03 Tue 9/12/2017

That said, PLEASE do tell what needs to be fixed, 3 or 30 or 300 places though it might be. What's fixable will be fixed. In order of appearance. If we just sit on broken or out of date stuff and wait for the devs to get to that things will get more and more and more broken, things will become a far worse waste of the admins' time. Inefficient though the system might be, it's there, and feel free to use it.

Like bugs, we might not react immediately to them, but they WILL get looked at, and if elaborated and backed properly, fixed to your liking.

jjsint
beers 7728 º places 1335 º 10:08 Tue 9/12/2017

Hi Marko,

Maybe a silly question but that never stops me. I've been sending any local places housekeeping stuff to the UK admins on the local thread. Would it be easier for all and sundry if I reported them centrally?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:36 Tue 9/12/2017

Thanks for your help, Marko. While this thread is something the devs and I will not be checking (threads are inefficient for us to track), if you can get a sense of 1) what's broken and high priority now, and 2) what people want for a redesign, and report back to me, I would really appreciate it!

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 10:45 Tue 9/12/2017

Originally posted by jjsint
Hi Marko,

Maybe a silly question but that never stops me. I've been sending any local places housekeeping stuff to the UK admins on the local thread. Would it be easier for all and sundry if I reported them centrally?

Naah, if there are functional local threads regarding this, use them, reckon the local admins will get to fixing that faster.

Joe, wouldn't it be better if there was a separate tech issue thread?

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 11:11 Tue 9/12/2017

Just wanted to thank you for this tread, Marko !

Place ratings is to me perhaps the most important aspect of the site. Nowadays, you can drink good beer at so many places, but very few places are also really good. AKA, as a customer, it is really helpfull !

As a bartender, our own place reviews give us an honest feedback about what that customer thought about our place. it helps us getting to understand what to improve, and what to maintain or even expand. Place ratings are extremely usefull, and - from the beeraspect - unique to ratebeer.

It's sad to see so little people rate places, and if they do, there are a lot of fake ratings, ratings with no text, rediculous ratings (Couldn't find opening hours, and when I went, the bar wasn't open, and so I give it 8/100 ) , ...
there's a lot of work left to be done besides the information updates ( which are also important though )

I'm just glad some of us keep fighting for more place ratings . Perhaps this is a side subject, how do we get more interaction ? How do we get more people to rate places ?

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 11:25 Tue 9/12/2017

My pleasure... Well, I'm trying to encourage people on a person to person base. The ideas the higher ups to do that have actually only netted us those empty and/or fake ratings - so clearly they have backfired. In my opinion - if you use RB places for reference when you travel - it's only fair to rate them too afterwards - but I know plenty of people who refuse to do that... and then, in some cases, complain about ratings of said places not being representative... :D

Well, that's humanity for ya. :)