Let’s talk Cheese.

Reads 14839 • Replies 108 • Started Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:57:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BlackHaddock
beers 15480 º places 1056 º 18:56 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by Guerde
Tuxford and Tebbutt Stilton - been pairing this with Kopke 10 yr. Tawny Port lately
Jacob’s and Brichford Farmstead Everton cheese
Parm
Ski Queen Gjetost

Again, new cheeses to me (apart from parmesan of course).

Pairing cheese with alcohol can get nasty: shall we finish the cheese and have another bottle, or should we finish the cheese and have another two bottles, etc, etc.

<*))))))><

BOLTZ7555
beers 3032 º places 100 º 19:00 Sun 12/27/2015

Definitely cheaper to by steak, ahi, etc...but harder to spread that on crackers...

BlackHaddock
beers 15480 º places 1056 º 19:03 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by BlackHaddock

What happened to ’normal cheese’? That lot sound an expensive selection, cheaper to buy steak sometimes isn’t it?

<*))))))><
A good lot of them were smaller cheese chunks; not as price prohibitive as they’d seem on their face.

OK.

I remember when we visited California earlier this year and went into a few stores, some of the cheese prices made my eyes water. We ended up with supermarket ’own brand’ stuff because we dare not buy expensive stuff we knew nothing about.

<*))))))><

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 19:05 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by X
Reggiano
Sharp Vermont Cheddar
Habenero pepper jack
Manchego
Kasseri - (to make saganaki)

Not a fan of ’hot cheeses’, so the Habenero Pepper Jack would not be on my cheese board (nor the Mexican one mentioned by Adam). Is it a blow your head off one, or mini-sensible?

<*))))))><

The Hab pepper cheese is hot, but its blended with some mango and that makes it a sweet and hot combination. Very tasty stuff, and its good on crackers which help cut the heat. Unfortunately I threw out the outer wrapping so I can’t give you a brand name.

BlackHaddock
beers 15480 º places 1056 º 19:06 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by BOLTZ7555
Definitely cheaper to by steak, ahi, etc...but harder to spread that on crackers...

Yip, pound for pound steak works out cheaper when you go ’upper end’ at the cheese counter and yes, it’s a bugger to layer on a biscuit.

<*))))))><

BlackHaddock
beers 15480 º places 1056 º 19:10 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by X
Originally posted by X
Reggiano
Sharp Vermont Cheddar
Habenero pepper jack
Manchego
Kasseri - (to make saganaki)

Not a fan of ’hot cheeses’, so the Habenero Pepper Jack would not be on my cheese board (nor the Mexican one mentioned by Adam). Is it a blow your head off one, or mini-sensible?

<*))))))><

The Hab pepper cheese is hot, but its blended with some mango and that makes it a sweet and hot combination. Very tasty stuff, and its good on crackers which help cut the heat. Unfortunately I threw out the outer wrapping so I can’t give you a brand name.

Thanks for the info about the hot cheese, wife will be in California during January: cheese will not be on her ’return list’ though: she has a mini beer collection to find while visiting our daughter.

<*))))))><

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 19:18 Sun 12/27/2015

Stichelton
Fleur du Maquis
Harbison

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 19:24 Sun 12/27/2015

What happened to ’normal cheese’? That lot sound an expensive selection, cheaper to buy steak sometimes isn’t it?

<*))))))><
A good lot of them were smaller cheese chunks; not as price prohibitive as they’d seem on their face.

OK.

I remember when we visited California earlier this year and went into a few stores, some of the cheese prices made my eyes water. We ended up with supermarket ’own brand’ stuff because we dare not buy expensive stuff we knew nothing about.

<*))))))><
Yeah, California... think of the prices in London, and how they compare to Shropshire. Kentucky is more like Shropshire than London, I’d imagine.

And you are not too far from Abergavenny- do you see a good bit of Red Dragon in Shropshire?

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 19:24 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by sethdude
A Nepalese childhood friend turned me on to Chhurpi many years ago. Though I haven’t seen any in years, I’d love to have some on hand.

Yak, or Cow’s Chhurpi?

(had to Google it, no expert mate).

<*))))))><

Yak.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 19:30 Sun 12/27/2015

This thread reminds me to pick up some Humbolt Fog for new years eve. It pairs fairly well with a nice lambic.