Let’s talk Cheese.

Reads 14831 • Replies 108 • Started Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:57:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

rennat42
beers 5363 º places 205 º 17:31 Sat 4/16/2016

Originally posted by adnielsen
I’m trying to get more knowledgeable about cheese. I started eating blue cheese for the first time in my life in the past month. So far I’ve had Jasper Hill Farm Bayley Hazen, Stilton, Point Reyes Blue, Salemville Vintage, and Mycella. Any other recommendations?

As far as readily available goes, I can always count on Castello. Pretty mild and cheap. Maytag I think is overrated but still good. Brands that is.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 17:33 Sat 4/16/2016

Recently I discovered a smoked blue, It is my new favorite. Try it if you can find it..

Also in the blue category don’t overlook, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, and Humboldt Fog.

Gorgonzola is especially nice on pizza, blend it with fresh mozzarella, and a bit of Reggiano. Use only an Italian Gorgonzola, not the US stuff. Mix it 60% Mozzarella,30% Gorgonzola, and 10% Reggiano. Top it simply with thinly sliced tomato and fresh basil leaves.

Humboldt Fog on the other hand is a snacking cheese. It has a more delicate flavor. Pairs very well with many wines and lambics. Pair it and serve on some good quality crackers.

Roquefort is the reference standard of blue cheeses. Most american blues are based on that flavor profile though few really get it right.

rennat42
beers 5363 º places 205 º 17:36 Sat 4/16/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD
Gorgonzola is especially nice on pizza...

I make a pizza that uses gorgonzola/mozzerella (30%/70%), thinly sliced pears, caramelized onions, grilled chicken, and walnuts that eats just fine. Also a Gorgonzola, grape, and pulled pork pizza.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 18:33 Sat 4/16/2016

Originally posted by adnielsen
Originally posted by HuskerTan
Gorgonzola is especially nice on pizza...

I make a pizza that uses gorgonzola/mozzerella (30%/70%), thinly sliced pears, caramelized onions, grilled chicken, and walnuts that eats just fine. Also a Gorgonzola, grape, and pulled pork pizza.

That sure sounds tasty !

Yes it does.I may try it.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 18:42 Sat 4/16/2016

Currently in my fridge I have:

Cheddar
Pepper corn cheddar
Tintern
Castillo Danish
Baby bel

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 19:04 Sat 4/16/2016

All the trappist cheeses are a great starting point to explore the rich Belgian cheese world... Lots of unpasteurised and blue cheeses as well.

A piece of Chimay cheese does not hold long in this household. Orval’s, true to style, is increasingly hard to get even in BE.

Does Chimay cheese travel to the US?

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 19:18 Sat 4/16/2016

Originally posted by bartlebier
All the trappist cheeses are a great starting point to explore the rich Belgian cheese world... Lots of unpasteurised and blue cheeses as well.

A piece of Chimay cheese does not hold long in this household. Orval’s, true to style, is increasingly hard to get even in BE.

I have never seen Chimay cheese in a store, but it is easily available on-line. Orval Cheese is much harder to find.

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chimay-Trappiste-with-Beer.asp? froogle&gclid=CJD5rNqxlMwCFQIOaQoddxQENw

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 19:33 Sat 4/16/2016

I have never seen Chimay cheese in a store, but it is easily available on-line. Orval Cheese is much harder to find.

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chimay-Trappiste-with-Beer.asp? froogle&gclid=CJD5rNqxlMwCFQIOaQoddxQENw

During our last trip through WI/MI I really wanted to try more US local cheeses, but the prices even at the source in cheeseland WI seemed so much more prohibitive than I’m used to in BE/DE... Is local "craft" cheese seen as upper echelon luxury good?

I can buy Chimay cheese at a number of stores in Louisville...

Had this the other day, and Urquell did not complement it well:

http://www.cheese.com/cotswold/

I still have about half the chunk left; any pairing recommendations?

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 20:29 Sat 4/16/2016

During our last trip through WI/MI I really wanted to try more US local cheeses, but the prices even at the source in cheeseland WI seemed so much more prohibitive than I’m used to in BE/DE... Is local "craft" cheese seen as upper echelon luxury good?

Good cheese in America is not cheap, on a weight adjusted basis its one of the most expensive foods you can buy. Not sure if I’d call it upper echelon though. I think that most middle class people can, and do, work it into their grocery budget.