Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30847 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 08:29 Mon 10/23/2017

I remember joet proudly stating that "site traffic is at an all-time high" in the past few months. And while that may be true, it's not traffic from contributing members; it's people going to the site to look at ratings and decide what to purchase. That might make it look pretty in a portfolio, but it's unsustainable. This site's financial backbone is built on member contributions, not people simply using it as a resource to inform their purchases.

LazyPyro
beers 8174 º places 63 º 08:37 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by b3shine
I remember joet proudly stating that "site traffic is at an all-time high" in the past few months. And while that may be true, it's not traffic from contributing members; it's people going to the site to look at ratings and decide what to purchase. That might make it look pretty in a portfolio, but it's unsustainable. This site's financial backbone is built on member contributions, not people simply using it as a resource to inform their purchases.

And indeed much of this will have most likely come from press following the ABI investment. As you say unless these visitors are converted into active users the investors are not going to be satisfied, and presumably neither is Joe himself.

sloth
beers 3474 º places 102 º 08:51 Mon 10/23/2017

No. Joe wont.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 09:21 Mon 10/23/2017

Please post this in the new forum.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 09:21 Mon 10/23/2017

I think Joe is playing games and deliberately slowing RB down to a crawl at the moment. Very humorous.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 09:33 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
The forum upgrade is absolutely necessary in my opinion. These ones have so many bugs and are missing so much functionality. Can't even get a notification when someone replies to a thread, have to manually check all the time. It's not a nice user experience at all.
But the main problem with the new ones isn't the change, the design, or anything like that. It's that already they are filled mostly with in-jokes and no actual discussion. I realise it's still in a sort of early testing phase but I don't see why this means everyone has to shitpost instead of fostering discussion. I mean it's not exactly welcoming to newer users like myself since none of us have any idea what's going on. Something needs to be done to encourage more users to post unless you want to stick with the same subset of hardcore tickers posting there, in which case the community will never grow.

I hear this complaint about in jokes quite a lot in regards to the forums. However, in my opinion these have reduced over the past year or so. Many of those in the click now communicate via private message boards. I have reduced my Input on OTM, others such as Beau and Seth have pretty much stopped contributing. The result is that posts are no where near their numbers of last year. I have reduced my interaction on the Ratebeer forums until the last few days. This isn't a conscious thing, it's just gone quiet. The in jokes are few and yet no new contributors get involved in any significant quantity on the forums. We can go a day or two with no posts in OTM or OTL. The forums are there for the taking. Others need to step up.

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 09:45 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by AdamChandler
Please post this in the new forum.

Why, so nobody sees it?

LazyPyro
beers 8174 º places 63 º 09:48 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
The forum upgrade is absolutely necessary in my opinion. These ones have so many bugs and are missing so much functionality. Can't even get a notification when someone replies to a thread, have to manually check all the time. It's not a nice user experience at all.
But the main problem with the new ones isn't the change, the design, or anything like that. It's that already they are filled mostly with in-jokes and no actual discussion. I realise it's still in a sort of early testing phase but I don't see why this means everyone has to shitpost instead of fostering discussion. I mean it's not exactly welcoming to newer users like myself since none of us have any idea what's going on. Something needs to be done to encourage more users to post unless you want to stick with the same subset of hardcore tickers posting there, in which case the community will never grow.

I hear this complaint about in jokes quite a lot in regards to the forums. However, in my opinion these have reduced over the past year or so. Many of those in the click now communicate via private message boards. I have reduced my Input on OTM, others such as Beau and Seth have pretty much stopped contributing. The result is that posts are no where near their numbers of last year. I have reduced my interaction on the Ratebeer forums until the last few days. This isn't a conscious thing, it's just gone quiet. The in jokes are few and yet no new contributors get involved in any significant quantity on the forums. We can go a day or two with no posts in OTM or OTL. The forums are there for the taking. Others need to step up.

You're probably right. It's just that I've only started posting here in the past year or so and that was the impression I often get. Maybe with the new forums I'll make more of an effort to start discussions and contribute to them outside of UK/Ireland forum, but it's going to take more than just myself doing this to get both quality and quantity that is desired there so I really hope others do indeed step up too.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 09:51 Mon 10/23/2017

The ironic part is that the forums where the only thing working without errors and the eerie part is that the new forum is set apart from the site... hmm...

Leighton
beers 33725 º places 1204 º 09:56 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener

Honestly, RB seems to have fewer in jokes and memes than most other beer-related platforms.