Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30848 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:52 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by djd07
Originally posted by fonefan
Originally posted by ebone1988
Originally posted by Benzai
Originally posted by DuffMan
I can still rate beers. I'm good, I'm hanging in

+1

+1
even though I have lost 27 ratings overnight.
The count yesterday was 50778 and today after having a beer, counter is on 50752

Same here, I am constantly having to rerate beers I have already rated weeks/months ago. I want to continue to rate but this is getting very frustrating.

Something that happened last night was that we noticed there were many ratings in the db without a UserID and those were causing issues with several pages on the site. Likewise, there were also many ratings without beer IDs whereby beers were deleted but associated ratings were not. This was all cleaned up.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 12:32 Tue 10/24/2017

Id suggest that if this happens again they are quarentined, and a list of beers published. so people can check. Nothing will destroy the site faster than lack of confidence in the rating stability

bierkoning
beers 20231 º places 431 º 12:42 Tue 10/24/2017

I also seem to lose ratings regularly in the past weeks. I think I need an extra database again instead of compiling my ratings once a month

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:58 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Id suggest that if this happens again they are quarentined, and a list of beers published. so people can check. Nothing will destroy the site faster than lack of confidence in the rating stability

A list of beers? There were two corrections. One was a deletion of ratings without beers. There were no beers associated with the ratings. These were likely the result of duplicate beers and merges.

The other deletions were duplicate ratings. We were not able to notify because of the volume.

We'll go back to the regular notifications now.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 13:02 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by joet

A list of beers? There were two corrections. One was a deletion of ratings without beers. There were no beers associated with the ratings. These were likely the result of duplicate beers and merges.

The other deletions were duplicate ratings. We were not able to notify because of the volume.

My concern is if Jan lost 27 ratings, who else lost what. He has paper copies not everyone does. Theres a good chance this was one off, but if we see this again, its gonna cause real concerns for me about what i may have lost

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:12 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by joet

My concern is if Jan lost 27 ratings, who else lost what. He has paper copies not everyone does. Theres a good chance this was one off, but if we see this again, its gonna cause real concerns for me about what i may have lost

I understand that, and this is very abnormal activity.

Since I've started Hero Mode, I've tasked myself with making a very long list of simple and major changes quickly. I apologize if the treatment sometimes smarts, but we should be getting back to normal soon.

JaKeAFC
beers 2030 º places 50 º 15:13 Tue 10/24/2017

Posting some brainfarts.

I am curious to see how the database is made. if it were for me [easy to say huh!] would be like this
Table of BREWERS (ID, name, address...), BEERS (ID, name, description..), RATINGS (ID, comments, scores, ticks..), STYLES, COUNTRIES, USERS, PLACES, etc.
structured like this, very basic, i can't image how even with millions of records such simple joins could hard to deal with. Everything is crossreferenced and normalized, mergers would be consistent even with physical mergers (hand fired SQL updates) or implementing a replaced-by/duplicate. Orphan ratings can't exist if the insert script is well engineered. I would have then a stored procedures calculating STATS as SCORES tables hourly, and not on the fly. In this way there's no chance the complete display of a brewer page with 1000 beers would be heavy on the server side, just throw out 1000 lines from a plain table. Of course stats would not be in real time but slightly off, but who cares. I suspect there's really some design flaws, or really there are millions of pageviews per hour for which servers physically can't handle on the HTTP layer regardless to DB activity. If those are visitors or bots, then apply restrictions to them and set logged-in users on a priority lane. Sadly i'm not in your area neither i have much time but would be interesting for me to join in and see how the system works and maybe bring in some ideas.

Check out the Discogs database if you never seen it, it's more or less the same thing, discographies rather than beers, users can rate and comment, and more interestingly posting updates/corrections doesn't require admin intervention as the process is self-moderated and voted by the community. That is a great example of what, in my idea, RB should be, sending a beer correction and certain times never know what it will be, or not being notified by mergers or rated beer changes so i can review confirm and eventually re-rate is a downer.

Let me say i've been happily premium several years, not for the features but to support the development, but during last period i encountered so many issues and features cut out. And if i stepped into them with my few ratings i wonder those who drops 100 reviews at day can be really upset.
24/7/365 uptime is not feasible, it just can't be, maintenance and downtime are a fact, for example the online services of my bank (where my real money is) is down daily 1 hour at night, and they periodically perform maintenance or upgrades, i simply get notified and i'm aware of it, no prob, logging in to send a banktransfer and getting a "this caused a spill" message right after pressing the CONFIRM button would probably send me to all caps rage. Even Discogs does maintenance, to be fair they even have issues sporadically, they are no spotless, but they get the things back rolling (most of the disruption in this phase is on the marketplace with counts 30 millions items on sale, on which they get revenues so if it's down it's a big mess... other story though.)

And guys, the app thing, it's a very handy beer geek tool, but it must be following the basic principles of the site... The old one is good and just missed some bits to be great, the new one instead... i don't get it, there are improvements going on maybe but i stick with the other one til it works while periodically have a look into it to see the progress.

Keep it up, don't let it go.
cheers

bhensonb
beers 21969 º places 678 º 18:08 Tue 10/24/2017

Let me say that I haven’t lost ratings. I don’t save’em off the site, unless on iPhone notes; little notebooks are now a thing of the past. It’s been awkward at times, but even when the robot screwed me, I kept a web page up to be able to copy/paste or re-enter when things got better. We’ve got to have a bit more confidence in RB. Over the years I’ve sunk into depression due to fear of this and that (back to Chinese hackers!). The admins have managed to bail out every single time. There are unexpected issues, but I don’t see how one could lose ratings, if each entry were verified before proceeding to the next. If there’s an easy description on how that happens, I’d appreciate a beer mail so I can beware.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 18:50 Tue 10/24/2017

Thanks for your vote of confidence! We will probably move from email to BeerMail to improve the speed of our scripts.

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 06:34 Thu 10/26/2017

Tuesday I noticed I lost a handful of ratings. Today I woke up with more ratings than when I went to bed: roughly a handful.

PS: at the time of the posting in this thread I see 3337 ratings, but when I go to my profile I see 3340. I happen to have three ticked beers.

PSS - now two hours later I see 3340 ratings in here.
PSSS - when I go to my profile page I see 3337 ratings and 3 "Personal" on my desktop and on my iPhone I see 3340 ratings.