Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 31011 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:47 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by BVery
Originally posted by JK
I am not going to read this whole thread again but one issue I am seeing is a lack of new information and entering new beers. I am just about to enter Summit Belgian Pale Ale. This is from the 2nd largest brewery in MN where we have a lot of users, and this beer has been on the market for weeks. I consider this a minor anecdote worthy of note. I hope, Joe, you consider whether something is happening that is making users less interested in contributing, which is very clearly happening in the forums. With this post, I am talking about hard beer data.

I entered a beer about a month ago that already had 350 unique ticks on Untappd. Founders Porter, another example, has 2000 ratings on RB, and over 150,000 unique ticks on UT. I suspect it's sheer number of users, rather than engagement of the users, but I have no data to back that up. Either way, it's hard to say that our database would be able to be as current and complete as UT with those kind of numbers.

Yeah, it's very difficult to add a new beer on Untappd. I get to because of the new Brewery in Casper.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 18:54 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by Bill Becker
Originally posted by sloth
Plus the fine tuned rating for each aspect of a beer on RB is going to produce different results than an overall score with a 0.25-5.0 range that Untappd employs.

You win! UT is the shit bro, enjoy!

It's not the shit but it does have some worthiness and I see a lot of BAs and RBs using it as well. ;)

I use it in a casual way, but if I don't untappd a beer i don't worry. However I would hate to miss a rate on Ratebeer and I can't recall it happening.

SinH4
beers 15469 º places 416 º 19:17 Fri 11/3/2017

I entered a beer about a month ago that already had 350 unique ticks on Untappd. Founders Porter, another example, has 2000 ratings on RB, and over 150,000 unique ticks on UT. I suspect it's sheer number of users, rather than engagement of the users, but I have no data to back that up. Either way, it's hard to say that our database would be able to be as current and complete as UT with those kind of numbers.

Some of the Top10 brewers on Untappd are not even on RB (which might have to do with homebrewing rules and stuff, though).

About numbers: RB currently has 7305 users with >= 100 ratings (to be fair, this number has increased a lot recently, it was 6000 not long ago!). Our overall number of registered accounts is approx. 0.5 million.

Untappd has 7 million users, of which apparently (not sure if this is true) most are active.

So we have a much higher rate of "Founders beers ticked" than Untappd, although our userbase is less US-centric (which is a purely anectodal claim, but seems to be backed up among the people I know from both websites).

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 19:25 Fri 11/3/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by sloth
Plus the fine tuned rating for each aspect of a beer on RB is going to produce different results than an overall score with a 0.25-5.0 range that Untappd employs.

You win! UT is the shit bro, enjoy!

It's not the shit but it does have some worthiness and I see a lot of BAs and RBs using it as well. ;)

I use it in a casual way, but if I don't untappd a beer i don't worry. However I would hate to miss a rate on Ratebeer and I can't recall it happening.

I have 11 ticks only on RB and that ticks me off as a few are beers that I will never see again (Brewery closed) A few times I could reconstruct a rating from Untappd because I posted notes.

gregwilsonstl
beers 2979 º places 37 º 20:48 Fri 11/3/2017

Joet can you please reply to this thread with a simple "yes", "no" or "maybe"

I keep seeing the thread name, and thinking, "well whats the answer?!"

nuplastikk
beers 9855 º places 73 º 23:15 Fri 11/3/2017

more stats! dilly dilly!

Shag
beers 3602 º places 81 º 01:16 Sat 11/4/2017

I've been certain that JoeT was out to destroy this site since 2003 when he froze our first rap thread. Awful individual that JoeT is #blingbling

Shag
beers 3602 º places 81 º 01:20 Sat 11/4/2017

Originally posted by gregwilsonstl
Joet can you please reply to this thread with a simple "yes", "no" or "maybe"

I keep seeing the thread name, and thinking, "well whats the answer?!"

If you have to ask what he is going to say then I got some beach front property in Tennessee for sale :D

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40594 º places 1239 º 03:37 Sat 11/4/2017

No ... I don't believe he is.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 03:49 Sat 11/4/2017

Originally posted by JK
I am not going to read this whole thread again but one issue I am seeing is a lack of new information and entering new beers. I am just about to enter Summit Belgian Pale Ale. This is from the 2nd largest brewery in MN where we have a lot of users, and this beer has been on the market for weeks. I consider this a minor anecdote worthy of note. I hope, Joe, you consider whether something is happening that is making users less interested in contributing, which is very clearly happening in the forums. With this post, I am talking about hard beer data.

This^