Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30843 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 19:52 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
but like i say they have the shit job of discovering that if yiu change X then blow me, why the hell did Y break

Which is exactly why these things should be tested by actual users before going live. People who don't use the site are never going to be in great position to spot the unintended consequences or even have a nose for where they might occur.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:07 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by chriso
but like i say they have the shit job of discovering that if yiu change X then blow me, why the hell did Y break

Which is exactly why these things should be tested by actual users before going live. People who don't use the site are never going to be in great position to spot the unintended consequences or even have a nose for where they might occur.

Getting them tested by people whose job it is to sit there and rigorously test them still fails to find many errors and triples or quadruples the time to fix a bug. At least now when things go wrong, fixes come within hours or days and not 10 days, weeks or months. We are far better off now.

Getting real users to rigorously test anything is like herding cats. We have tried such thing before. Implementing this idea would likely make fixes that take hours, take weeks or months instead.

I know people are unhappy, but the cold hard facts are that we are much better off now than we were a month ago. And the process difference and the 100 code changes related to a myriad of improvements in the last month are related to the bold elimination of QA. The most recent performance issue was unrelated to a code change of mine. It resulted from a code push with several pieces of code that got into this release.

Hang in there! Things are far better now than they were last year, last month or a decade ago. They will get better!

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 20:17 Mon 10/23/2017

I can still rate beers. I'm good, I'm hanging in

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 04:24 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by DuffMan

+1

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 04:45 Tue 10/24/2017

I'm still a bit upset that we no longer have jmm635 as default *4AD (aka RateBeer Spotlight), though...

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:45 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by joet

Getting them tested by people whose job it is to sit there and rigorously test them still fails to find many errors and triples or quadruples the time to fix a bug. At least now when things go wrong, fixes come within hours or days and not 10 days, weeks or months. We are far better off now.

Getting real users to rigorously test anything is like herding cats. We have tried such thing before. Implementing this idea would likely make fixes that take hours, take weeks or months instead.

Fair points, but how close are we to having a platform where changes can be implemented without breaking all sorts of things all round the site in a an unpredictable manner? Will we ever get to that stage? Right now it often seems that changes break things that are far more damaging to site usability than whatever they were intended to fix or implement in the first place.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 07:27 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by Benzai

+1

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:36 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by joet

Fair points, but how close are we to having a platform where changes can be implemented without breaking all sorts of things all round the site in a an unpredictable manner? Will we ever get to that stage? Right now it often seems that changes break things that are far more damaging to site usability than whatever they were intended to fix or implement in the first place.

Also fair points. We have been more or less stable in our releases over the years with instability positively correlated with the size and scope of changes, familiarity with code and a need for speed. We are tuning a new process now and have made improvements. The latest process change is that I was not signing off on all new web code, and now I am.

fonefan
beers 74116 º places 698 º 08:37 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988

+1

+1
even though I have lost 27 ratings overnight.
The count yesterday was 50778 and today after having a beer, counter is on 50752

djd07
beers 28636 º places 45 º 09:09 Tue 10/24/2017

Originally posted by fonefan
Originally posted by ebone1988

+1

+1
even though I have lost 27 ratings overnight.
The count yesterday was 50778 and today after having a beer, counter is on 50752

Same here, I am constantly having to rerate beers I have already rated weeks/months ago. I want to continue to rate but this is getting very frustrating.