Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30834 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

b3shine
beers 12185 º places 372 º 09:59 Mon 10/23/2017

No wonder pinkie left.

fonefan
beers 74108 º places 698 º 10:22 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by Countbeer
The ironic part is that the forums where the only thing working without errors and the eerie part is that the new forum is set apart from the site... hmm...

Truth ...
But it makes the forum as unstable as the rest of ratebeer it is now by moving it ...
-- and there by f.ex i can not use the new forum, since it not working with chrome on a chromebook
just getting a blank white page .. waiting for very long long time and the a error page !!

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 10:50 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by b3shine
I remember joet proudly stating that "site traffic is at an all-time high" in the past few months. And while that may be true, it's not traffic from contributing members; it's people going to the site to look at ratings and decide what to purchase. That might make it look pretty in a portfolio, but it's unsustainable. This site's financial backbone is built on member contributions, not people simply using it as a resource to inform their purchases.

this. They know they need balance the mix. site traffic is up. as ratebeer us trusted. that's great. but they need new users to keep that relevant.

are thet getting everything right. NOPE if i made all the decisions would everything be right. DAMN STRAIGHT that they wouldn't be. its too complex.

spoke to a few people recently and convinced they know its complex and they're aiming for what i want even if a slightly different route.

they know they need. (and i think the in bev money wants new user data) new users. but it needs to be built on the user base that gives that wanted data

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 10:53 Mon 10/23/2017

I can't access my beermail.

Originally posted by b3shine
No wonder Gary left.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 10:55 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by fonefan
Originally posted by Countbeer
The ironic part is that the forums where the only thing working without errors and the eerie part is that the new forum is set apart from the site... hmm...

Truth ...
But it makes the forum as unstable as the rest of ratebeer it is now by moving it ...
-- and there by f.ex i can not use the new forum, since it not working with chrome on a chromebook
just getting a blank white page .. waiting for very long long time and the a error page !!

logged on to new forums via my lap top fir first time and it didn't ask for new password. (which surprised me) soni assume. like lots of these changes work in progress

maybe released a little early. but feed back being listened to

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 11:51 Mon 10/23/2017

I think an Ashes thread could save Ratebeer

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:51 Mon 10/23/2017

My main concern is that the vast majority of the additional technical resources are going into the app not the website. Joe has said so elsewhere. Not exactly surprising as, presumably, that's what ZX Ventures is primarily interested in and I doubt Joe can dictate to them exactly what they spend their time on. This has forced Joe into "hero mode" which, as far as I can tell and from a position of complete ignorance, seems to involve working his butt off until things get sorted or he burns himself out, whichever comes first. Meanwhile, the other techies are poncing about with a not very good app.

Of course, it may be that the architecture of the site is so "quirky" that none of these new techies can be expected to make head nor tail of it and pitch in. When they have done things have got totally fucked up - presumably as a result of unintended consequences unconnected with what they were actually working on that they did not foresee. In which case getting the the site onto an updated basis that others can work on becomes even more pressing. Whether more resources for developing the website will become available when/if that is achieved is another question.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 12:26 Mon 10/23/2017

Originally posted by chriso
My main concern is that the vast majority of the additional technical resources are going into the app not the website. Joe has said so elsewhere. Not exactly surprising as, presumably, that's what ZX Ventures is primarily interested in and I doubt Joe can dictate to them exactly what they spend their time on. This has forced Joe into "hero mode" which, as far as I can tell and from a position of complete ignorance, seems to involve working his butt off until things get sorted or he burns himself out, whichever comes first. Meanwhile, the other techies are poncing about with a not very good app.

Of course, it may be that the architecture of the site is so "quirky" that none of these new techies can be expected to make head nor tail of it and pitch in. When they have done things have got totally fucked up - presumably as a result of unintended consequences unconnected with what they were actually working on that they did not foresee. In which case getting the the site onto an updated basis that others can work on becomes even more pressing. Whether more resources for developing the website will become available when/if that is achieved is another question.

Exactly and I am concerned that stats and data such as the League Tables and brewers beer list will be sacrificed to make this app development simpler.

Joet has posted threads that appear to be in general friendly feedback on the front of it. For example the "What Leaderboards do you check most often?"

And I think John (jssint) hit the nail on the head with his post.

"Are we to read this as a 'we're cutting down on stats availability, what would you most like us to keep' question? In which case I'd answer please don't. The stats are awesome and are one of the reasons I do this."

Maybe I am being cynical, but would Joe start this thread without an ulterior motive. I just wish he would be up front about it, if that's the case.

Another example is the brewers beer list that is temporarily unavailable. This has caused no end of issues for me. Again I may be cynical, but does "temporary" mean for a long time and then permanent when everyone forgets about it?

On a positive note Joe has done well with the last few information updates he has given us, but I am still concerned that ZXventures dictate the aims and goals of this development and not us the users.

cgarvieuk
beers 37625 º places 457 º 12:35 Mon 10/23/2017

i certainly don't want to see less info (though i wouldn't mind the destruction of the raters of top 50 list as i think it drives homerism) i really hope that's not the aim. but from my understanding RB is almost a home-brewed code base making it almost impossible to seriously develop. no SW engineer can realistically pick up and run with undocumented un supported code. So we are seeing new code development. hopefully future proof supportable code.

i suspect joes wanting to know what's the priority. and want to stress to him we can't just dump willy nilly. but nit convinced that's the aim.

@chrisO (see how new forums are better) if i under stand ZX Ventures right theres 2 or 3 teams. yeah main development is on app. but there is a team for the web. but like i say they have the shit job of discovering that if yiu change X then blow me, why the hell did Y break

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:19 Mon 10/23/2017

ok up for air.

I am getting to the bottom of this... two things happening at once.

1) we were getting crawled in a pernicious way and so TJ dropped in our very first limiter which went in a few minutes ago. my how times have changed.

2) the dupe issue raised by fone is a very real one. Dupes were many. I dug into the fix dupe code and amped it up to be a bit smarter. I'll let admins have at it in a few minutes. I need ti to be more user friendly. A lot of dupes were hurting the function of the brewer page.

Now I'll get to more coffee and then dig into the brewer page so I can stem the tide of new dupes. Admins are doign a great job.