Is Joet Going To Destroy Ratebeer?

Reads 30845 • Replies 216 • Started Monday, October 23, 2017 4:07:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 19:50 Thu 10/26/2017

Old Ticks copied over to new ticks! And no, you don't have to copy them over! Oh my gosh!

I am still working on views, API INSERTS, and more. This was a TON of cleanup. I rewrote as much SQL code as possible along the way.

But my wife's lasagna is almost ready, and beer always goes so well with lasagna, so I may save some work for tomorrow.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 20:05 Thu 10/26/2017

Originally posted by joet
Old ticks aren't going anywhere

Old ticks are now showing as ticks on the beer page (and brewer page). This was not the case when I posted just now. They also appear as "non qualified ratings" but only if you click through to them from your old ticks list (I don't know whether they are visible to anyone but me). If you access the beer from the brewer page they don't.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 20:06 Thu 10/26/2017

Old Ticks copied over to new ticks! And no, you don't have to copy them over! Oh my gosh!

Good work. Enjoy your lasagne!

fonefan
beers 74116 º places 698 º 21:49 Thu 10/26/2017

Great now it starts working JoT .. so now my only wish is that if i lookup "ticked by" on the beers page .. that we also can see who has made a tick from today on that beer .. then it will be perfect 😉
Enjoy your beers and lasagne.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:56 Thu 10/26/2017

Originally posted by fonefan
Great now it starts working JoT .. so now my only wish is that if i lookup "ticked by" on the beers page .. that we also can see who has made a tick from today on that be .. then it wilk be perfect 😉
Enjoy your beers and lasagne.

Yes, and this after I just fixed this code to show old ticks! Ha ha ha... I will get to this tomorrow.

I should also mention some important details about the update... In a few rare cases, some users had more than one tick per beer. In those cases, the tick scores were averaged and the earliest date stamp was used. Also, in cases where a rating already existed for a beer, the tick was not transferred at all.

egajdzis
beers 9962 º places 49 º 21:59 Thu 10/26/2017

Looks great, ticks were merged seemingly perfectly. Also I'd like to note that outside is one or two random rates lost due to merge my rate count has stayed mostly consistent throughout all this work.

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 22:42 Thu 10/26/2017

Sweet - thanks Joe! I was able to find my long lost tick! I had a 1-count for awhile that I couldn't locate for the life of me - it was kind of driving me nuts :) Turns out it was a beer I'd rated almost 6 years ago that had both a rating and a star tick, but it hadn't been on my list of ticks for some reason, so I couldn't find that bugger.

Inbreak
beers 9950 º 01:57 Fri 10/27/2017

There should be quite a lot of Nøgne beers with jul in it (Christmas beers). Try searching for "Nøgne jul" and see what you get. What the actual crap...?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 02:13 Fri 10/27/2017

Also, in cases where a rating already existed for a beer, the tick was not transferred at all.

Yes, I'd spotted that as a potential issue. In my case I'd generally delete the tick when (rarely!) I input a full rating but I occasionally I might forget to do that. But, on a functional level, I'd also use it to identify beers that I'd already (fully) rated but needed to re-rate because my experience was markedly different. If I understand it correctly, those ticks will no longer show up on the beer page but will remain in my old tick list. Some way of teasing those duplicates out would be helpful but it's not a deal-breaker.

I've also used ticks to identify those beers that I don't need to buy if see them because I already have them "in the cellar". I know there has been a facility to add beers to your have list (although I can't see a way of doing that at the moment) but that's primarily for trading purposes and, as I don't trade, I've never paid much attention to it. Some other way of identifying beers that I have in stock would be helpful. In essence, if, say, I go to a brewery taproom what I really want is a one stop shop on the brewer page to allow me to identify which beers are new for me.

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 02:16 Fri 10/27/2017

We are far better off now.

but the cold hard facts are that we are much better off now than we were a month ago.

Things are far better now than they were last year, last month or a decade ago.

Who let Goebbels use JoeT's computer?

Clue: if half of the forum threads currently are complaints by long-term members about how things don't work as well as they used to, and a year ago, very few forum threads were about that, then you can be pretty sure that in the perception of those who should matter most, things are not better now than they were.