BA is emailing Cigar City

Reads 63099 • Replies 239 • Started Monday, February 1, 2010 7:41:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:41 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by jerc
Originally posted by joet
I think one interesting observation here is that most people have walked into a bar where the guy behind the counter owned the joint. If he didn’t like you or you didn’t play by the rules, you weren’t served or you were told to leave.

There was a place in SF a while back where the owner only served a few people a night and ignored everyone else - and he put out tables for people to sit and not be served. It would piss people off to no end but that was the owner’s decision.

...Real life is a lot different. If you’re an ass to someone real, odds are good that the person you’re talking to will think you’re a total ass.

Real life is also different in that if you are in a bar and the owner is a total douche you can tell him to his face. Honestly, the scenario you described above is unreal. Did he make you come to the bar or just not serve you at all? The latter would probably piss me off enough to be sure and call any and every authority to shut the guy down permanently.

The bar was usually full - usually 8 people or so. If you looked like a yuppie, he wouldn’t serve you. Some people at the tables would start making noises and whatnot, and he’d just ignore you or point to the door.

Nothing he was doing was illegal.

Back to the business side of things, these types of incidents rarely if ever have lasting negative effects. There must be more than a hundred people here have been booted from BA but still visit occasionally. Heck, I still drink and buy Bell’s whenever I have half the chance. I bet Dennis buys and drinks more Cigar City - and likes it.

Even if five sensitive souls were turned off, one more bar in NYC will expose another two or five thousand to the brand. The disparity is gigantic. It isn’t the same global brands who already have the distribution, are competing for marketshare and must justify a huge marketing and advertising budget. Then being sweet means a lot more for the brand image and competitiveness.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:42 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by absolutesites
Originally posted by mtoast
Originally posted by egajdzis
Originally posted by DerWegMore generally - are people just becoming gigantic babies?

Short Answer?

Yes.

Long Answer?

Yes.

Unfortunately this is what’s happening, but fortunately it happens less here than BA.

I blame BA’s outlawing of snarkiness.

Heavy-handed administration is the problem on BA and is what has been causing the downhill slide of that site for the last 4 or 5 years.

They’ve actually only become super huge in the last year. While people might not like it, it’s not making them leave.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 08:58 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by illinismitty
Originally posted by FlssmrBrewAlum
It never ceases to amaze me.. the differences between the two communities.. wow.

What difference is that? Just curious. Flame threads happen over here also.

All the BA guys I know are just as cool and into beer as the guys on Ratebeer. Both communities love beer. So they use a different website. That’s about it. I don’t get the animosity toward members of BA. I have been to a few BA tastings and no one has ever said anything negative about me being on Ratebeer.

I think there’s a distinct difference in the two communities. BA has seemingly far surpassed RB in user base, and has apparently grown particularly fast within the past, say, 10-15 months (dating back to the RB hacks and "blackouts" of last year? I’d love to see numbers on that). As a result, there are A TON of new users on BA who also seem to be neophytes to craft beer in general, and I think you can make some (largely unflattering) generalizations about them-- there’s a whole groundswell of vocal newbs there who don’t know a whole lot about beer but feel perfectly content to spout off about it anyway. And many of these folks are from "The Entitlement Generation" (either by age or in spirit), which makes their particular brand of intentionally-obnoxious internet banter all the more obstinately ignorant and embarrassingly insufferable.

They’re not ALL like that, of course, and lord knows we on RateBeer have our own stereotypes and our own share of social shortcomings. But I think that, by and large, we on RateBeer also have a generally older, more international userbase, and a much higher percentage of contributions from longtime established members of the site, all of which contribute to a more "stately" (and I use that term very loosely-- it’s the INTERNET still, after all) feeling to the daily discourse here.

I’m not trying to start a holy war, and not trying to say one is better than the other or anything like that. I’m saying this all as a proud member and contributor to BOTH communities-- they’re very different communities, and even if we all love beer and that unifies us all as brothers-in-arms in "The Good Fight" or whatever, that doesn’t mean we can’t also acknowledge (and celebrate, and laugh at, and make fun of) our differences. They seem pretty clear to me.

absolutesites
beers 2 º 08:58 Tue 2/2/2010

Heavy-handed administration is the problem on BA and is what has been causing the downhill slide of that site for the last 4 or 5 years.

They’ve actually only become super huge in the last year. While people might not like it, it’s not making them leave.

I’m speaking on the quality of the site and its contributors, not the quantity of members.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:05 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by illinismitty
Originally posted by FlssmrBrewAlum
It never ceases to amaze me.. the differences between the two communities.. wow.

What difference is that? Just curious. Flame threads happen over here also.

All the BA guys I know are just as cool and into beer as the guys on Ratebeer. Both communities love beer. So they use a different website. That’s about it. I don’t get the animosity toward members of BA. I have been to a few BA tastings and no one has ever said anything negative about me being on Ratebeer.

there are A TON of new users on BA who also seem to be neophytes to craft beer in general, and I think you can make some (largely unflattering) generalizations about them-- there’s a whole groundswell of vocal newbs there who don’t know a whole lot about beer but feel perfectly content to spout off about it anyway. And many of these folks are from "The Entitlement Generation" (either by age or in spirit), which makes their particular brand of intentionally-obnoxious internet banter all the more obstinately ignorant and embarrassingly insufferable.

Said very well.

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 09:44 Tue 2/2/2010

ya, I think this "joey" attacked the situation in a very childish manner. Though I have a short fuse and with all of those stresses filling my life, on top of a sickness, I might have blown up too. The difference, however, is that I would have realized my mistake after that epically long email and apologized in the third one, rather than asking the guy not to buy my products. I would assume, after seeing how big this email chain has gotten and how much discussion it has stirred up, that the dude will apologize eventually because not only did he turn the OP of to buying his product, but he likely turned a bunch of other RB/BA people too.

jercraigs
beers 14882 º places 1051 º 09:52 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by jerc
Real life is also different in that if you are in a bar and the owner is a total douche you can tell him to his face. Honestly, the scenario you described above is unreal. Did he make you come to the bar or just not serve you at all? The latter would probably piss me off enough to be sure and call any and every authority to shut the guy down permanently.

The bar was usually full - usually 8 people or so. If you looked like a yuppie, he wouldn’t serve you. Some people at the tables would start making noises and whatnot, and he’d just ignore you or point to the door.

Nothing he was doing was illegal.

Perhaps not, but there’s nothing illegal about the cost of the audits, visits from health inspectors, and plumbers to fix the recently discovering plumbing problems either. I don’t know why this irks me so much, but its just... well to put it simply, its roshambo worthy behaviour. Lets leave it at that.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 09:59 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by 502Flavors
ya, I think this "joey" attacked the situation in a very childish manner. Though I have a short fuse and with all of those stresses filling my life, on top of a sickness, I might have blown up too. The difference, however, is that I would have realized my mistake after that epically long email and apologized in the third one, rather than asking the guy not to buy my products. I would assume, after seeing how big this email chain has gotten and how much discussion it has stirred up, that the dude will apologize eventually because not only did he turn the OP of to buying his product, but he likely turned a bunch of other RB/BA people too.

he’s already said in this thread that it was a dick thing to say, but he didn’t apologize to the douchebag who originally emailed him, and he shouldn’t have

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 10:11 Tue 2/2/2010

Looks like we can officially call it that Joey was wrong!

Interesting the disparity in the poll vs in this thread. It looks pretty equal, if not lopsided towards him being right in the thread, but the numbers don’t lie.

One wonders that if here, where the site "elders" are tending to side with their friend and fellow ratebeerian, the rest of the folk are afraid to speak up against him, whereas at BA there is a much more "common man"/working class vibe and the populist reaction against the big-headed business man is more accepted.

Adam77
beers 457 º places 11 º 10:19 Tue 2/2/2010

Originally posted by puzzl
Looks like we can officially call it that Joey was wrong!

Interesting the disparity in the poll vs in this thread. It looks pretty equal, if not lopsided towards him being right in the thread, but the numbers don’t lie.

One wonders that if here, where the site "elders" are tending to side with their friend and fellow ratebeerian, the rest of the folk are afraid to speak up against him, whereas at BA there is a much more "common man"/working class vibe and the populist reaction against the big-headed business man is more accepted.

I’ll say it...

He was wrong. But so many Florida "homers" will stick their man through thick and thin and never admit that he was wrong.

He is God to them.