BA is emailing Cigar City

Reads 63120 • Replies 239 • Started Monday, February 1, 2010 7:41:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 21:07 Mon 2/1/2010

And for the record, Joey is the most courteous guy around. He makes the customer feel at home and welcomes each and every person to his brewery. He takes time out of his day to show you around, let you sample things, and ask questions. He did this even when it was a 2 person staff. He never once was short or anything short of courteous with any of us who visited his business. Just stop by some time and find out exactly what Joey, his staff and CCB is all about. You will change your tune.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 21:07 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by Cliff
Then the rest is people taking sides. Pretty good stuff.

I hope this thread turns into people taking sides as well.

illinismitty
beers 2271 º places 279 º 21:12 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by daknole
Hahahaha. If any of you and I repeat ANY of you knew Joey and his staff you would realize what asses SOME of you sound like. If you realized how small their buisness is...and how small the batches obeer they brew then you would realize they cant even predict how long a beer will last on a given day or night. They have had stuff blow in less than an hour. Sometimes they aren’t even sure what cool beer they are going to make until they do it. This isn’t some huge business. Its 4 people and a core a awesome beer loving volunteers who make Cigar City what it is. Until recently there was no AC where they sampled their beers and sold growlers. Until recently it was a 2 person business...Joe and Wayne. Some of you don’t like the email Joey sent, but it was the truth. And that is the facts. Like it or not, please gather some facts beofre you start throwing stones...be careful in your glass houses. Very careful. But hell, what do I know...I’m just a homer right?

size of business is irrelevant. You NEVER address customers in that manner. That kind of attitude will keep them small or run them out of business, regardless of how good the beer is.

I have met Joey and he was nice. He certainly rolls out the red carpet for you Florida folks. Maybe the illness and stress of runnign things got to him, but that was very poor judgment on his part from a professional standpoint.

If I were him, I would do some damage control right now and extend an olive branch to that guy. Running a company means that you have to take some butthurt from customers. That’s the way it is. It’s not a free for all, say what you feel like internet forums.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 21:14 Mon 2/1/2010

The first reponse Joey gave was short and honest. The guy repsonded a bit like an ass...so Joey was straight up honest and a bit blunt. I think some of you are overreacting. And if that is the worst mistake Joey makes, CCB will be fine. You guys wouldn’t believe some of the poor service I have gotten from a few of the "big" and "revered" breweries around. The only difference is that I didn’t get on a forum and whine like a baby.

mattmc1973
beers 479 º places 13 º 21:15 Mon 2/1/2010

Hahahaha. If any of you and I repeat ANY of you knew Joey and his staff you would realize what asses SOME of you sound like. If you realized how small their buisness is...and how small the batches obeer they brew then you would realize they cant even predict how long a beer will last on a given day or night. They have had stuff blow in less than an hour. Sometimes they aren’t even sure what cool beer they are going to make until they do it. This isn’t some huge business. Its 4 people and a core a awesome beer loving volunteers who make Cigar City what it is. Until recently there was no AC where they sampled their beers and sold growlers. Until recently it was a 2 person business...Joe and Wayne. Some of you don’t like the email Joey sent, but it was the truth. And that is the facts. Like it or not, please gather some facts beofre you start throwing stones...be careful in your glass houses. Very careful. But hell, what do I know...I’m just a homer right?

Even if that’s all the case, his initial response of "we can’t project that far" out was poorly handled. It’s Customer Service 101, if someone takes the time to email your business, praises it, and tells you they want to spend money on your products, you don’t blow them off with such a short dismissive email. Even if the best answer you had is "we can’t project that far", there was a nicer way of saying it. Busy or not, it would have taken him 10 extra seconds to say "Thanks for the interest, it’s hard to know what will be on tap that far in advance, but look forward to seeing your friend, thanks for emailing". He certainly had time to come back with a multi-paragraph diatribe.

And the "if you knew Joey and his crew, you’d feel different" thing is irrelevant. Most customers are never going to meet or know the owners of a business, they only form their opinion based on products and the service they receive. In this case, Joey blew it, and clearly doesn’t care that he lost a customer. Like I said, that extra 10 seconds to be nice would’ve saved a lot of bad publicity that can’t be gotten back.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 21:18 Mon 2/1/2010

The bias towards CCB is worse than the homers you claim to be overhyping them. Its hilarious. You guys can’t have it both ways.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 21:20 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

Check and check.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 21:21 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

Let’s have a poll!

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 21:22 Mon 2/1/2010

If I answered a customer like that, my ass would be looking for another job. As it stands, the brewery will continue to put out good beer and the public will continue to buy it. That is why my next career will be in the beer brewing business!

mattmc1973
beers 479 º places 13 º 21:23 Mon 2/1/2010

The bias towards CCB is worse than the homers you claim to be overhyping them. Its hilarious. You guys can’t have it both ways.

So anyone who thinks Joey handled it poorly is biased and wrapped up in the "Homers" fight? Maybe for some, but I’ve never had a dog in that fight. I’m just objectively looking at this situation, and stating that Joey should’ve handled it better.

I live near Kuhnhenn Brewing, love their beer, and frequent their pub...and I’ll be the first to say that their service often leaves a lot to be desired, as does their attitude towards customers. So I’m just calling it like I see it here.