BA is emailing Cigar City

Reads 63118 • Replies 239 • Started Monday, February 1, 2010 7:41:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

illinismitty
beers 2271 º places 279 º 21:24 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by daknole
The first reponse Joey gave was short and honest. The guy repsonded a bit like an ass...so Joey was straight up honest and a bit blunt. I think some of you are overreacting. And if that is the worst mistake Joey makes, CCB will be fine. You guys wouldn’t believe some of the poor service I have gotten from a few of the "big" and "revered" breweries around. The only difference is that I didn’t get on a forum and whine like a baby.

I know you love CC ( and thanks for sending some my way). I like what I have tried. Be honest though. If the shoe were on the other foot with some brewery you were really anxious to try, and you got that kind of response- would that be acceptable to you? Seriously.

Joey is not perfect. We all make bad judgment calls. No need to throw him under the bus, but let’s not excuse it either. The guy just wanted to proxy buy some beer and needed some customer service. It’s obvious Joey did not want to deal with him and the guy was "straight up and honest" right back at him. Like I said, customer service is 100% about making the customer happy. It’s not fun, but that’s the way it is.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:24 Mon 2/1/2010

Thanks for keeping it civil folks. No need to bash here.

I think one interesting observation here is that most people have walked into a bar where the guy behind the counter owned the joint. If he didn’t like you or you didn’t play by the rules, you weren’t served or you were told to leave.

There was a place in SF a while back where the owner only served a few people a night and ignored everyone else - and he put out tables for people to sit and not be served. It would piss people off to no end but that was the owner’s decision.

People seem to be so used to giant corporations and having "customer service representatives" saying, "Thank you very much sir. Is there anything else I can do to provide you excellent service?" that they’ve forgotten that there are plenty of real people engaged in business in beer. In fact, most of craft beer is still at a stage where real people answer the phones.

If you often talk to a fake person that speaks for a faceless giant corporation, you can be a total ass and it makes no difference. The person on the other side is always happy to talk to you. This sort of trains a person to be a squeaky wheel, asshole, demanding customer, whatever you want to call that.

Real life is a lot different. If you’re an ass to someone real, odds are good that the person you’re talking to will think you’re a total ass.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 21:25 Mon 2/1/2010

Who cares if the emailer was an asshole? Is one jackass worth this amount of negative publicity?

I think the guy was kinda pushy, wanting special treatment and being lazy, but it could have been handled better. I really didn’t see anything that warranted the desire to never do business again ... makes no sense.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 21:26 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by Cliff
Then the rest is people taking sides. Pretty good stuff.

I hope this thread turns into people taking sides as well.

Let’s have a poll!

Early results are showing a dead heat. Who’s it gonna be!

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 21:28 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by daknole
The bias towards CCB is worse than the homers you claim to be overhyping them. Its hilarious. You guys can’t have it both ways.

You are out of your mind, but you are entitled to your insanity.

wunderbier
beers 1434 º places 17 º 21:28 Mon 2/1/2010

Hilarious. F’ing Yahoo Answers internet mentality.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:30 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by miketd
Who cares if the emailer was an asshole? Is one jackass worth this amount of negative publicity?

I think the guy was kinda pushy, wanting special treatment and being lazy, but it could have been handled better. I really didn’t see anything that warranted the desire to never do business again ... makes no sense.

The soup nazi or the guy I mentioned who put out tables for newbs to not be served knew a few people getting pissed off was still in their best interest.

Neither is Joey going to miss some guy who I presume must be some kind of asshole, even if temporarily. CCB will still sell all their brew. If some bar owner ejects some butthead from his bar - even with a few choice words - odds are that other people the bar owner does business with are not going to think less of him.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 21:31 Mon 2/1/2010

Let’s have a poll!

"poll daddy" sounds so dirty

SpencerDB
beers 223 º 21:31 Mon 2/1/2010

Originally posted by miketd

No such thing as negative publicity. As a serious question for anyone else reading this thread... Will any of you not drink CCB because of the email Joey put out?

My guess is that you will drink whatever you have, drink whatever you get, and continue to drink whatever you can get your hands on in the future from CCB... I know I will. They make damn good beer. And that’s why I’m on this site.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 21:32 Mon 2/1/2010

Let’s have a poll!

Early results are showing a dead heat. Who’s it gonna be!

I voted both were not playing nicely!